Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3099 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Post by fferyllt »

/nth Obtusebear
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3114 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Post by fferyllt »

nth Always Andy!

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3133 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I think
Always Andy
is a better title for Syryana than Clone Andy because:

1. The alliteration and the meter are flawless.

2. His ever-changing avatar always has the same base image with a new wardrobe or accessories to commemorate a particularly notable game experience or event. For instance:

commemorates his role (Quetzalcoatl) in FGO, Mafia in the Lost Belt his first 2020 game back at MS after a hiatus.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3266 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 pm

Post by fferyllt »

second Sharp Note

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3272 (isolation #4) » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:25 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 3270, Menalque wrote:I don’t get the “note” bit
Bell as a musical instrument that plays one note, also and more so the very sharp PT notes Bell writes during games. This was the first Bell notes PT I saw: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=84104

FGO was an anon game.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3280 (isolation #5) » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 am

Post by fferyllt »

</3

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3290 (isolation #6) » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:07 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 3130, Cabd wrote:Right so "Obtusebear" first showed up in Xenoblade II, here:
In post 2550, Cabd wrote:
But the thought exercise has been amazing AND it confirms obtusebear didn't read the casewall lmao.
Midwaybear was asking questions about a fake claim I had already rescinded and clarified several pages ago, with the past few pages being nothing but discussions of the repercussions of said revelations, while also claiming to be current.

The nickname has since caught on, spreading to a bunch of different players as their way of referencing him. Midway himself embraced it around here:
In post 2555, midwaybear wrote:
In post 2550, Cabd wrote:obtusebear
Let's just go with this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In general, Midway is the mafia equivalent to somebody who watches a funny movie and then right around the credits starts laughing uncontrollably because he got the joke from the opening scene finally and can't help himself but tell everyone in the room how it worked. And we wuv him for it.
Did this nomination go through?

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3491 (isolation #7) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I love that.

second is a lie

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3496 (isolation #8) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:16 am

Post by fferyllt »

have you heard the phrase "the cake is a lie"? that's from the portal game.

I really love this nom for Cakez.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3586 (isolation #9) » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Post by fferyllt »

nth esurio. fits so well!

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4034 (isolation #10) » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:12 am

Post by fferyllt »

nth Prism.

Her feedback in newbie games, especially, is always excellent.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4061 (isolation #11) » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:01 am

Post by fferyllt »

Saving Quicktopic is a title-worthy endeavor, but I feel like there's a lot more to Cabd's contributions to the site since he joined. He's done a lot of work to help renew/update the newbie game experience, for instance. His skills and tools were the absolute right tool for the job of rescuing MS's vast number of QT threads from the jaws of death, though.

His original title was given to commemorate his extremely meta-heavy playstyle in his first few years on site. He literally read every ongoing game, and had a binder(s) of observations about player specific scum/town markers. I'm not sure, but I think he originated the phrase "burn the tell".

Archivist is kind of dry, too? I'm thinking back to Tierce's title "cache me if you can", that commemorated what she was able to restore from the horrors of the Tigers during the 2012(?) site crash.

Anyway, a fresh title is probably in order, and I like the direction of Archivist, but maybe we can come up with something a little punchier?

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4064 (isolation #12) » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:27 am

Post by fferyllt »

The Wayback Kid?

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4066 (isolation #13) » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 4065, Aristophanes wrote:I want to make this something referencing the Library of Alexandria, but I'm floundering. Help?
I was thinking the same, actually! But haven't hit on something good yet. Alexandrian Preservationist? Saving from the Flames. They're very specific to the QT project. :/

Was also thinking about something knowledge entropy related, but coming up empty so far.

I feel like a new title shouldn't be just about the quicktopic project, though. His site history goes back to 2013 and he has a distinctive playstyle.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4074 (isolation #14) » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:18 am

Post by fferyllt »

Nom Cabd for Quicktopic Sniper

As well as the one off, this captures one of Cabd's strongest attributes as a player, especially his scum game.

He can brutally abuse neighborhoods like nobody's business. I can provide receipts going all the way back to 2013 for those who have never had the experience of being neighbors with him.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4091 (isolation #15) » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:21 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 4089, mastina wrote:could use the promised proof to tell if it's good
I didn't promise receipts. I indicated I could provide them if needed. So here they are.

[Access Code 1461] Paradox Prime: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=29264

I believe this is the first game where Cabd did neighborhood shenanigans.

On Day 3 of this game, Sixty, the famed Tierce/Vi hydra used their when-dead ability to create a neighborhood with a living player on Syryana and my hydra, Rift Adrift. The neighborhood lasted until the end of Day 3. And Rift died on Night 3.

On Day 4, Cabd's hydra, MC Maraca, claimed an entirely fictional neighborhood with dead-Sixty and made various claims about what he was learning from them via the nonexistent seance neighborhood. I don't think anyone alive questioned the existence of that hood. Cabd was lying through his teeth as town. Something he did several times in that game: faking an inno on Rift on Day 3 when we were the default elim for the day, the fictional hood, and finally by fake-claiming 3rd Party survivor in ELO, offering to give scum the co-win, and getting the final scumplayer to claim scum. This game was the shape of things to come for Cabd. Gambiting as town, faking results, and abusing the very concept of neighborhoods.

The Xenologue Mini gave Morph the Cat, my hydra with Cabd more than one opportunity to abuse more than one neighborhood as scum. Cabd got right to work: We neighborized Purpkin (Bork/Mara hydra) on day 1 and Cabd set about influencing their concept of the gamestate AND trying to shape their night actions in a role madness uPick game. We nightkilled Oil Tycoons (Nacho/Syryana). They DIDN'T DIE! Our biggest threat didn't die until the end of Day 2. AND THEN, they neighborized us and gave us an extra vote on Day 3. Many of the players knew Nacho well enough to ask him questions, have us convey the answers, and be able to tell if we were making shit up or not being completely up front with his answers.

My job was to be as town as I could possibly be in the neighborhood so that Nacho's answers conveyed implicit trust in us (which was a tall assignment for me). Cabd's job was to influence their concept of the game such that they were suspicious of the right townies to advance the scum wincon into eventual MELO. Mission accomplished.

Mafia Pinnipedum: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34898

walked into a club, Cabd's hydra with Malakittens, KanyeKnowsBest, and Selkies (my hydra) were the scum team in this game, and we were up against a really strong town. All the scum players were joats and one of the abilities we had was to neighborize another player. The way the game was constructed, We would flip with only the joat abilities that we used. My hydra was by far the weakest one, so as a team we decided that I wouldn't neighborize anyone, so as not to cast suspicions on the hoods that the stronger scum would form. Kanye neighborized LLD and Cabd's hydra neighborized (gasp) penguin_alien, who was a mason with Kazekirimaru. He was so convincingly town in that hood that PA was willing to claim he was a third mason. And she died before getting the chance to correct the record. PA intimated there was a third mason here. and here and then in this post revealed that the "third mason" was Cabd's hydra. That was a helluva game.

------ Here ends the era of the Quicktopic Hoods------

In this game, neighborhoods were a big feature of the design. On Night 1, town-Flavor Leaf created a neighborhood with town-Cabd, and they set about gamesolving. Before the hood closed at the end of Night 1, they worked out a detailed code for communicated night action results and which of their plans they would execute on Day 2. And then a cop crumb happened. They seamlessly gambited to bury the crumb and fake claim a guilty on the same player. That worked beautifully in all respects.

On Night 3 Flavor Leaf once again targeted Cabd (he commuted Cabd and crashed any neighborhoods Cabd was in), and Bell targeted Cabd to form a neighborhood with all three of them. More deep plotting commenced. Cabd was able to use his Amnesiac Cop ability thanks to Bell targeting him, and Bell received the cop results. And of those three, scum chose to eliminate Flavor Leaf, resulting in the best possible outcome for that neighborhood if one of them had to die.

Tenet: too many game threads to link and this one is in recent memory

Cabd's hydra with Cephrir, Dandelion Wine (truly a scum hydra to fear) had access to two neighborhoods in this game. On Night 1 in the Purple Room, he completely snowed Deacon Blues (my hydra with Bork) and Nacho and Tammy's hydra, Imperium. The second neighborhood was a creation by Dunnstral, who neighborized Dandelion Wine on Night 1 and my hydra on Night 2. Bork and I eventually threw off the misty glamour and saw through Dandelion Wine but it was far, far, too late to change that games crushing outcome of a perfect scum win. As well as the neighborhood play in this game, Cabd used the scum discord to organize his team, crumbs and tells, and maintain top notch morale throughout the game. Sadly, only glimpses of this Discord are publicly available, but what I've seen scares me. Scum Discords are too stronk in the hands of scum players of Cabd's and LLD's caliber.

Tarot uPick: The Deviant Moon edition: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=87040

In this game, Cabd was both a neighborizor and a neighborizee. After a three hour Day 1 that resulted in the blindingly fast elimination of a scum player, he nieighborized another scum player on Night 1. From their conversations, he confirmed his suspicion that they were scum, and through some socially-engineered Q&A, got the scum player to unknowingly reveal their partner via their reads list. The scum team was killing him that night, and their conversation was more unguarded than prudent beause they didn't intend him to see the light of Day 2.

Enter the second neighborhood: Pooky compulsively created a neighborhood with Cabd that also had the effect of loverizing them. Cabd was able to share the info that came to light in his hood with scum, but oh my...this info would surely be lost to town. Right?

Wrong. As well as compulsively creating a lover-neighborhood with Cabd, pooky's role allowed him to create a neighborhood with a living player on the day of his death, but at the cost of a delayed flip. Pooky neighborized Annie Edison (notscience and The Bulge hydra), and Cabd's information from his neighborhood with scum made it into the Day 2 game thread. I think town would have won this game based on their day play, but those two neighborhoods and Cabd's virtuoso ability to use them was a decisive factor in the game ending on Day 3.

Other MS players probably have their own tales, both triumphant and crushed, to tell about Cabd and neighborhoods. These are the ones that stand to me, and demonstrate he's basically unmatched at taking advantage of neighboorhoods as all alignments.

Regarding Quicktopic Sniper vs QT Sniper. Syr pointed out to me today that QT Sniper also catches Cabd's avatars. He's used Medea avatars almost exclusively since joining MS, and as Syr puts it, "quicktopic reference AND sly aside to the fact he always has some cutesy anime girl as his avatar"

Last edited by fferyllt on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4497 (isolation #16) » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:37 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 4489, Alisae wrote: I think you just want to give your friends titles
not that I care too much
Cohorts* tend to do that. They play together enough to have good ideas about what makes their friends unique in their MS era.

* people who started playing at roughly the same time (within a few months to a year of one another).

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4498 (isolation #17) » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:39 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 4480, Jingle wrote:
In post 4479, DragonEater70 wrote: Okay Twilight Princess is pretty good
Dragon in here outing his terrible taste in video games.

What’s Done in the Dark
? Might be a little risqué connotation wise, but I think it’s a nice nod to black’s personality and also the fact that eventually you tend to understand what she’s been up to at the end and hitting yourself for not seeing it sooner.

And also there’s risqué connotations.
I like this one a lot. Nth

Probably too long, but
Hello darkeness my old friend
would be good too, though the song as a whole, not so much.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4514 (isolation #18) » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:00 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Something Wicked This Way Comes

For Black?

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4608 (isolation #19) » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:24 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Is there still a Post of the Year Scummies category?

I don't care if it's two posts. 4599-4600 should be a nominee.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4610 (isolation #20) » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:51 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Of course.

Idic

Return to “Player Titles”