Newbie 1123 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
el simo
el simo
Mafia Scum
el simo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1123 - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Post by el simo »

Welcome to Newbie 1123!

Please make sure you read all the rules and role PMs.

-
Alive (4/9):

• PiggyGal15

• zMuffinMan
    -
    Masterp443

• David Xanatos
    -
    noraaa

• mozamis (SE)

Dead (5/9):

[*]
    homeless - Vanilla Townie,
    lynched day one!
    [*]
    Eijolend
    -
    [chickadee]
    - Vanilla Townie,
    shot night one!
    [*]
    Xanny the Nanny
    -
    Big Sleep
    -
    Arthur Dent
    -
    Mafia RoleCop
    lynched day two!
    [*]
    Cobblerfone (SE) - Doctor,
    shot night two!
    [*]
    Amrun (IC) - Mafia Goon,
    lynched day three![/list]

Town wins!
    Last edited by el simo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 17 times in total.
    "How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
    "If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip
    el simo
    el simo
    Mafia Scum
    el simo
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Post by el simo »

Rules:

• All site rules apply, you must abide by them as well as those listed here.
    • You may not communicate with players outside of this thread, unless your role PM specifically states that you may.
    • To vote for a player you must state that you are voting, who you are voting and you must bold it. E.g.
      vote: el simo

• If your vote is not bolded it will not be counted, this is to make it easier for me find them.
    • Unvotes are not necessary before voting another player, but they are much appreciated.
    • A lynch will occur when a player receives a majority of the players votes.
    • A no lynch will occur if the majority of the players vote for a no lynch, or if no majority is formed by the end of the deadline.
    • Each day will have a three week deadline.
    • If you have a night action and do not send it in before the deadline, no action will be taken.
    • Each night will have a three day deadline.
    • If you have not made a post for 72 hours you will receive a prod.
    • If you do not post after 48 hours of receiving a prod, you will be replaced.
    • If you have limited access or on vacation that means you will not be able to make the prods response time, please inform me so I can act accordingly.
    • When you are dead you may no longer post. Not even a "bah" post.
    • If you wish to address me, please bold your concern and tag it @mod:
    • No use of small fonts or colours or hiding of information in anyway in a post.
    • I am the mod, my word is law and my rule is final.
    • And most of all; have fun!

Setup

The 2of4 setup is a test game format we’re trying out in Newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon
    • 1 Mafia Role Cop
    • 5 Vanilla Townies
    • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)

Possible Role PMs:

Vanilla Townie

Welcome to Newbie ####!

You are a
    Vanilla Townie.

• You have no night action
    • Your only power is your vote, use it wisely!
    • You win when all your opposition have been eliminated, whether you are dead or alive.

Confirm your role in the thread by making a single /confirm post. Please do not start discussion until I start the day.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me at any time.

You may find your game here.

Doctor

Welcome to Newbie ####!

You are the
    Doctor!

• As the doctor, you may choose to protect one person from a night kill by PM'ing me the name of your target. You cannot protect yourself.
    • You will NOT receive confirmation as to whether you did or did not successfully protect your target.
    • You win when all your opposition have been eliminated, whether you are dead or alive.

Confirm your role in the thread by making a single /confirm post. Please do not start discussion until I start the day.

Cop

Welcome to Newbie ####!

You are the
    Cop!

• As the cop, you may choose to investigate one person each night by PM'ing me the name of your target.
    • Each morning you will be informed if your target is guilty or innocent, via a PM by me.

Jailkeeper

Welcome to Newbie ####!

You are the
    Jailkeeper.

• Each night you may choose to protect someone.
    • That same target will be role blocked by you as well.

Mafia

name
    (a Mafia RoleCop) and
    name
    (a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
    • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via QuickTopic, linked below) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
    • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
      and who is performing the kill
      before the Night deadline.
    • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
    • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
    • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
    • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
    • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
    • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by el simo on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
    "If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip
    el simo
    el simo
    Mafia Scum
    el simo
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Post by el simo »

Role PMs have been sent out, you may now confirm. Please don't start discussion until I start the day.
    mozamis
    mozamis
    Jack of All Trades
    mozamis
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Post by mozamis »

/comfirm.
    You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
    Chickadee
    Chickadee
    Slightly Sketchy
    Chickadee
    Slightly Sketchy
    Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Post by Chickadee »

/confirm!
    Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
    Amrun
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Post by Amrun »

/confirm
    I survived
    Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
    Arthur Dent
    Arthur Dent
    Townie
    Arthur Dent
    Townie
    Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Arthur Dent »

/confirm
    This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

It is a important, and popular fact, that things are not always as they seem...
    noraaa
    noraaa
    Goon
    noraaa
    Goon
    Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by noraaa »

/confirm
    Engineers accepted the word “planetary” in its epicyclic sense, but I was always conscious that it also meant “wandering,” “erratic.”

Compassion, Common Sense, and Context should always go together.
    Masterp443
    Masterp443
    Townie
    Masterp443
    Townie
    Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by Masterp443 »

/confirm

Sup.
    SIG SIG SIG
    I have sig.
    Cobblerfone
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum
    Pronoun: I don't know

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Post by Cobblerfone »

/confirm
    PiggyGal15
    PiggyGal15
    Mafia Scum
    PiggyGal15
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Post by PiggyGal15 »

/confirm
    el simo
    el simo
    Mafia Scum
    el simo
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Post by el simo »

With eight confirmed, the day begins. Deadline is 18th July.
    Cobblerfone
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

@Mod: Can the mafia roleblocker block and kill at the same time? And if so, what happens if the roleblocker blocks the jailkeeper and the jailkeeper blocks the roleblocker? Does the kill go through or not?

I did some research during confirmation. And I have some questions for all of you.

@Arthur: Are you still as good a scumhunter as I read in those two games from 2009? And do you expect to die just as quickly?
    @mozamis: Are you going to allow the scum to buddy up to you in this game?
    @Amrun: I believe you are officially the player I've played with the most. How are you approaching being an IC now?
    @Chickadee: What's your experience with mafia?
    @PiggyGal15: What's your experience with mafia?
    @homeless: What's your experience with mafia?
    @Masterp443: Are you scum?
    Amrun
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 am

Post by Amrun »

Hi. I am Amrun, your friendlyish IC. We can talk about theory throughout the game, but to start off with, I want to give you some helpful guidelines.

1. Never, ever give up. Your win condition is your Bible, so don't do anything that works against it. That includes self-voting and especially self-hammering.

2. Give your best effort, but don't take anything too seriously. Every post here is part of a game; assume that everyone is playing at all times.

3. Don't forget that you're on a team. In this set-up, everyone has a team, whether it be town or mafia. Cooperation is an important part of the game.

4. Listen to what everyone tells you about how to play the game, but don't follow advice blindly.

5. HAVE FUN!

I will be really busy during the first game day and may go v/la in other games, but this game will stay my top priority because of my commitment to you.

I also request to know if anyone is under 18 or has issues with cursing and/or rude humor.
    I survived
    Tigerpocalypse 2011

Amrun
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:39 am

Post by Amrun »

Cobbler: Depending on my mood, I can be a cryptic and/or very aggressive player in normal games. I have decided to be transparent and less aggressive as an IC, but everything else is up in the air as it is my first time.

In general, I want to guide the newbies through the waters of learning to play at MS but not entirely hold their hands. I think sometimes newbie games coddle them so much that they go into shock and flake in their first non-newbie game and that is the opposite of what I want to happen.

A link to a handy playing guide is forthcoming!
    I survived
    Tigerpocalypse 2011

Cobblerfone
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:43 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

Amrun wrote:I also request to know if anyone is under 18 or has issues with cursing and/or rude humor.

I'm 17. As long as it's within site-rules I'm fine I guess. Though I don't personally curse.

Amrun wrote:Cobbler: Depending on my mood, I can be a cryptic and/or very aggressive player in normal games. I have decided to be transparent and less aggressive as an IC, but everything else is up in the air as it is my first time.

In general, I want to guide the newbies through the waters of learning to play at MS but not entirely hold their hands. I think sometimes newbie games coddle them so much that they go into shock and flake in their first non-newbie game and that is the opposite of what I want to happen.

A link to a handy playing guide is forthcoming!

Thank you for answering.
    Amrun
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:03 am

Post by Amrun »

A little guide to help you understand and navigate MS: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

A comprehensive playing guide for newer players: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... e_At_Mafia

A little help in getting your suspect lynched: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... em_Lynched

While I don't necessarily believe everything in the above guides, by reading them, thinking about them, and putting some of these theories into action, you will grow and evolve as a player. As you do so, you will figure out which parts are applicable to your style of play and which are not.
    I survived
    Tigerpocalypse 2011

Masterp443
    Masterp443
    Townie
    Masterp443
    Townie
    Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:40 am

Post by Masterp443 »

Hey guys.

@Cobblerfone - I most certainly am not scum. Though I am puzzled as to why you asked PiggyGal15, homeless, and Chickadee (who I believe to be new to Mafia/Mafiascum.net) "What's your experience with mafia?", when you ask me "Are you scum", a question of which you'll surely get a negative response. I, of course, am not new to Mafia games at all, but this is my first Mafiascum.net game. Perhaps your "research" has indicated that I've only made about 4 or so posts on this website, leading you to think I might slip up on your "reaction test". I apologize if you think that I am giving you a scum reading, but that question struck me as peculiar. Thereby, I'll use my first FoS on Cobblerfone. Don't take this personally; I will remove my vote when I hear a reply from you.

VOTE: Cobblerfone
    SIG SIG SIG
    I have sig.
    Cobblerfone
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Cobblerfone
    I don't know
    Mafia Scum
    Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:40 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

Masterp443 wrote:@Cobblerfone - I most certainly am not scum. Though I am puzzled as to why you asked PiggyGal15, homeless, and Chickadee (who I believe to be new to Mafia/Mafiascum.net) "What's your experience with mafia?", when you ask me "Are you scum", a question of which you'll surely get a negative response.

Good, good. I love it when people aren't fresh newbies. The reason I picked you instead of the others was arbitrary; you confirmed right above me, you have three numbers in your name, etc. Essentially random.

I, of course, am not new to Mafia games at all, but this is my first Mafiascum.net game. Perhaps your "research" has indicated that I've only made about 4 or so posts on this website, leading you to think I might slip up on your "reaction test". I apologize if you think that I am giving you a scum reading, but that question struck me as peculiar.

I'm glad you answered the question I was going to ask you next. It saves me the trouble of asking and waiting. A reaction test is exactly what is was.

Thereby, I'll use my first FoS on Cobblerfone. Don't take this personally; I will remove my vote when I hear a reply from you.

Typically you use FoS on people you're not voting. I don't take it personally, though your response strikes me as odd. (Though I think I know why. You're reaction testing me, aren't you?) Somewhat defensive but that's null. I see you use your vote as a way to add pressure, yes?

Do you have any questions for me?
    homeless
    homeless
    Townie
    homeless
    Townie
    Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:22 am

Post by homeless »

Woot, been waiting for my first game here to start! Looks like it's already underway... understandable since I live in Japan at the moment which is a good 13 or more hours ahead of the States.

Cobblerfone: I've played a couple games on the forum of a website centered on an old SNES game (Earthbound), and have glanced over a couple games on this site before joining. Also, one of my training class supervisors at my former job had everyone play Werewolf in a closed room together on two occasions, which was freaking awesome considering it was a new experience doing it in real life and the fact that I got paid for it lol. Nobody had a clue how to play though so it was pretty chaotic.
    In short, I know the basics but still have not developed a real "feel" for the game yet.

Amrun: Thanks for the really helpful posts already! I'll try not to reserve suspicion of you, though. :p
    homeless
    homeless
    Townie
    homeless
    Townie
    Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 am

Post by homeless »

Oh yeah,

/confirm
    mozamis
    mozamis
    Jack of All Trades
    mozamis
    Jack of All Trades
    Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:33 am

Post by mozamis »

Hey peeps :)
    @ Cobblers : ah, I did indeed get "buddied" in my last completed game by scum which was galling :) Yep, it's certainly something to watch out for. Though as I always say, I'll defend people if I think they are town.

VOTE AMRUN
    'cos she's the only person I've played with before :P
    You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
    Masterp443
    Masterp443
    Townie
    Masterp443
    Townie
    Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:34 am

Post by Masterp443 »

@Cobbler -

I have, just a simple question for you. No, this is not a reaction test, it's just a "get to know my fellow players (or potential opponents)" thing:

What is your favorite alignment, and why?
    SIG SIG SIG
    I have sig.
    Amrun
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:15 am

Post by Amrun »

Masterp, why did you ask that question only to Cobbler?
    I survived
    Tigerpocalypse 2011

Amrun
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Amrun
    Killed the Radio Star
    Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:16 am

Post by Amrun »

Also, VOTE: masterp