Newbie 1074(Game Over|Scum Win!!!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1074(Game Over|Scum Win!!!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

WELCOME! TO NEWBIE 1074!!!

Two Men stopped out from the shadows. Two men entered the town. Two men started to infiltrate the small peaceful town. These two men were not just any men, they were cold blooded killers with the instincts of a deadly viper. Killing and leaving without a trace. These two men sought to kill everyone in this town and claim it as their own. Will the town be able to stop them? I don't know, lets find out.

Living Player List (5/9):

desiderata
Silver1337
kr0b
Verbs

Pine
Hoppster (SE)

Not So Living(dead) Player list (4/9)

Spoiler:
Hazard with a Glove,
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched Day One.

Nachomamma8,
Vanilla Townie
, Shot to death Night One

drewoftherushes,
Vanilla Townie
, Lynched Day Two

1joe60,
Vanilla Townie
, Shot Night Two
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

Rules:

General Rules

<1>My rule is Law, I settle debates. If you reject my rules then it shall result in a Modkill. Though I am awesome, I still make mistakes. Please do not hesitate to notify me when you think I have made a mistake.
<2>
Darkred Is my color don't use it. Using it will be seen as impersonating the mod, which is a punishable offense.

<3>If you have private communication with me, the mod. It has to be secret. I allow paraphrasing for Roleclaiming. If you don't know if your allowed to tell what was said then ask me first. Assume it is bad to do so before my answer.
<4>Time does not affect anything in this game unless it is a game mechanic. The use of Timestamps as a reason against someone is prohibited.
<5>You are
NOT
allowed to talk outside the thread with any other player unless specified in your role pm. This is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. I have seen people been banned from queues for breaking this exact rule. Don't get banned.
<6>Don't post the links to quicktopics that are used unless I give you permission. If you do, you will be modkilled.
<7>Claiming to be scum, is prohibited. If you are scum, you are not allowed to claim your partners name. If you do, you will be modkilled.
<8>Don't use small, invisible, or encrypted text. if I can't read it, its unacceptable.
<9>If you find loopholes in any of the rules and use them it is considered not good sportsmanship and is punishable. This doesn't apply to game mechanics of course. If you find a loophole that seems important please do not hesitate to notify me immediately.
<10>Personal grudges, are NOT acceptable. Period.
<11>HAVE FUN!!!!
<12>Modkills will be enforced, don't think I'm a coward. If you do something that is a modkill offense, It will be done in a way that hurts your faction. You will be changed to a nuetral surviver. And automatically lose. But don't constantly worry about breaking the rules, I understand if you accidentally do something you shouldn't.

Posting, Voting, Deadline and Death

<1>Deadlines are a fixed 3 weeks. If there is a replacement I might allow an extensions. Extensions will not be longer than 1 week. Period.
<2>If you are going to be on vacation or unavailable for some time please inform me in thread or through a PM.
<3>If your V/LA covers too long a time I will replace you.
<4>If you do not post in
hours you shall be prodded.
<5>If you do not respond to the prod in another
hours. You shall be replaced.
<6>If you get
prods, you shall be replaced automatically. I will be lax with this if you start posting efficiently after third prod.
<7>Votes must be bolded or will not be counted, if you make the mistake of voting without bolding I will inform you that your vote was not counted in thread.(Ex. VOTE: Playername) This should be made easier by the new vote and unvote tags.
<8>Unvotes are not required but appreciated. Please Unvote before voting again.(ex. UNVOTE: Playername)
<9>Abbreviations are acceptable as long as I can clearly tell who you mean.
<10>Lynches will happen when a Majority is reached. Majority is half of available votes plus one rounded down.
<11>If players so choose, you can vote for No lynch. Normal Majority is required for a No Lynch to pass.
<12>If at deadline there is no Majority, a No Lynch will occur. If there is a tie at deadline, a No Lynch will occur.
<13>Once there is a Majority, votes cannot be taken back. The decision is final.
<14>As soon as I have posted the scene of your death. You are no longer allowed to post in thread. I will allow 'Bah' posts as long as they are completely content less, and you are only allowed one.

Just Have fun, follow the rules, play to your Win condition, and you won't have any problems!
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

In Newbie games there is four possibilities for setups.
1st Possibility~ 1xGoon 1x Roleblocker 7xTownies
2nd Possibility~ 1x Goon 1x Roleblocker 1xDoc 1xCop 5xTownies
3rd Possibility~ 2xGoon 1xCop 6xTownies
4th Possibility~ 2xGoon 1xDoc 6xTownies

The setup will be chosen at random. Also, if the goon dies in a setup with a Roleblocker the Roleblocker can block and kill at the same time still. And chose different targets if they so wish.

The following is the possible roles sent to players. Just because they are here do not mean they are in the game.

Town Faction PMs:

Vanilla Townie
Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Please Confirm by sending me a PM that says /confirm and your role name
Cop
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that persons guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Doctor
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Mafia Faction PMs:

Goon
Mod wrote:

You are part of the local mafia along with your partner (PLayername) who is a (Partner Role here).
  • During the day, try to blend in with the town and atttempt to mislynch someone.
  • During the night cycle ONLY. You may talk in this quicktopic with your partner to discuss the strategy, kill and such. (Quicktopic).
  • Either you, or your partner, may send in the kill via pm by using the format
    Kill:Player
  • Both of the Mafia may talk in the quicktopic before the day starts during what is known as, Night 0. As soon as it is day though, you may not talk at all.
  • You win when the Mafia outnumber the town, or nothing can prevent the same. Whether you survive to the end or not.
RoleBlocker
Mod wrote:

You are part of the local Mafia along with your partner (PlayerName) who is a Goon.
  • During the Day, try and blend in with the Town and attempt to mislynch someone.
  • During the night cycle ONLY, you may talk with your partner in this quicktopic. (Quicktopic)
  • Being a Roleblocker, you may choose someone to not be able to use their night ability. Assuming they actually have a night ability.
  • During the night, when you and your partner have made a desicion, one of you PMs me the Kill. You the Mafia Roleblocker, send me who you want blocked in the format of
    Block:Player
    . Be specific on whether it is the kill or the Roleblock.
  • Before the game starts feel free to talk in the quicktopic to discuss an opening strategy. This is called Night 0. But as soon as it is Day, you may no longer speak in the topic till the next night.
  • You win when the Mafia outnumber the town or nothing can prevent the same. Whether you survive to the end or not.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

I got the thread up. Will send PMs shortly.

Role PMs sent out, will start Day One once everyone confirms.

With only one person missing, Day One begins.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:48 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

|
:

1joe60 [0]
desiderata[0]
drewoftherushes [0]
Silver1337 [0]
Verbs [0]
Pine [0]
Hazard with a Glove [0]
Hoppster [0]
Nachomamma8 [0]

:
|
Not Voting
|
:

1joe60, desiderata, drewoftherushes, Silver1337, Verbs, Pine, Hazard with a Glove, Hoppster, Nachomamma8

:
|
Amount to Lynch
|
:

With 9 Alive it is 5 to Lynch.

:
|
Deadline
|
:

Midnight of March, 26th, EST.

Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:48 am

Post by Robocopter87 »

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 am

Post by Hoppster »

FIRST POST! GO ME!

VOTE: 1joe60

Having a number before AND after your username is just silly.

Posting this to prevent being ninja'd for first post, I will post a more serious second post soon.
Benmage: First, for the sake of irony. I'm going to illustrate how completely idiotic and hypocritical scumhunter is.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 am

Post by Pine »

Isn't our town lovely?

Personally, though, I find the lack of confirmation from our "most experienced" player a tad suspicious.

Vote: Nachomamma8

Confirm and redeem yourself, potential scum.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 am

Post by Pine »

Blast and damn, ninja'd for first post.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Silver1337
Silver1337
Goon
Silver1337
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:22 am

Post by Silver1337 »

Nachomamma8 seems suspicious since he/she was the last one to send in confirmation, if at all. However, I will wait to vote.
I'm a lurker.
desiderata
desiderata
Townie
desiderata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:25 am

Post by desiderata »

I will
vote Silver1337
. I think (s)he's trying to cover her bases in case Nacho turns out to be mafia.
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 am

Post by Hoppster »

So, hi to Hazard with a Glove and Nachomamma8 who I have played with before! (Coincedentally, both in Newbie games.)

And a warm welcome to the rest of you. I am Hoppster, one of your 'Semi-Experienced (SE)' players. This means I have completed at least 2 games on site. Hazard with a Glove is the other SE player, and Nacho is your (our) 'Inexperienced-Challenged (IC)'. ICs are players who have a decent level of experience and are here to show players the ropes.

As I'm typing this I've come to the conclusion that I'm not great at giving out advice. I was going to post more, but fear that I will end up looking like a total prat, so I'm stopping now. Nacho can take up the reigns when he comes. However, I would advise everybody to at least cast a cursory glance at the wiki for common abbreviations/terms (such as WIFOM and AtE).

A question for everybody: how much Mafia (RL and forum) experience do you have?

I have three completed games on-site (and a bunch of marathon games), and I play it in RL at a family/friend get-together my family has every two months or so.

Also, everybody, get a unique avatar. It makes identifying people much easier and faster.

/prat-post.

Preview Edit: @ Silver: Why are you waiting to vote? Go ahead and dive in. It's all part of the fun.

@ desiderata: If Silver1337 was trying to cover his base in case Nacho turns out to be mafia, wouldn't that make him town(-aligned)? Or are you saying you think Silver is/could be mafia with Nacho?
Benmage: First, for the sake of irony. I'm going to illustrate how completely idiotic and hypocritical scumhunter is.
Silver1337
Silver1337
Goon
Silver1337
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:34 am

Post by Silver1337 »

@Hoppster: 1 IRL, 1 completed game on another website (a gaming forum, it's one of the "forum games"), and one game which I have not completed on the same website.
And nice icon, lol.
I'm a lurker.
Silver1337
Silver1337
Goon
Silver1337
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:38 am

Post by Silver1337 »

To be honest I'm more used to games with more roles and more people (20-25), but I'm not used to this site yet.
I'm a lurker.
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 am

Post by Hoppster »

@ Silver: Thank you. I return the compliment - your avatar is nearly as awesome as mine.

I suspect that the games on this site will be slower-paced than other sites. I also wouldn't expect you to be used to this site without even completing a game...?

A couple of questions for you as well:

1. Are you going to cast a 'random' vote (ie. one similar to the one I made in my first post)? If not, why not?

2. What's your feeling towards desiderata's vote on your/reason for voting you?
Silver1337
Silver1337
Goon
Silver1337
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:50 am

Post by Silver1337 »

@Kermit with a Gun:
1. No, I usually wait for suspicious behavior posts.
2. I don't know yet. Just wait and see ;)
I'm a lurker.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:55 am

Post by Pine »

I have significant experience playing at the children's camp I've worked at for the last ten years, but in my one forum game on another site, I have found that the methods used in live games to root out scum don't work very well. You can't make eye contact online, nor judge body language, nor measure cadence and rhythm of speech.

This is my first game on MafiaScum.net, but I should not be considered a novice in any regard.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:02 am

Post by Hoppster »

@ Silver: So what do you think of me voting without seeing any suspicious behaviour posts?

@ Pine: So should I consider you as a heavily experienced player? Or a happy medium between inexperienced and heavily experienced?
1joe60
1joe60
Townie
1joe60
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:16 am

Post by 1joe60 »

OMGUS VOTE: Hoppster
read me
1joe60
1joe60
Townie
1joe60
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:24 am

Post by 1joe60 »

Hoppster wrote: A question for everybody: how much Mafia (RL and forum) experience do you have?
almost 0 :cry: I've played like a little bit with friends and such IRL but I'm a total newb to online mafia
read me
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:32 am

Post by Pine »

Hoppster wrote:@ Pine: So should I consider you as a heavily experienced player? Or a happy medium between inexperienced and heavily experienced?
The latter. If this were a live game, face to face, then the former. But it isn't, and I'm still adjusting to the change in medium.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Verbs
Verbs
Goon
Verbs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:04 am

Post by Verbs »

@Hoppster:

I've only got 1 game under my belt. Should be a fun learning experience. What do you think about the level of play here at mafiascum in comparison to other sites?

@desiderata: What did you mean by post 10? By "cover her bases" are you hinting that silver and nacho are scumbuddies? Please explain.

@Silver: IGMEOY, I
strongly
dislike players that do not actively attempt to scumhunt.

VOTE: Hazard with a Glove, Where is your other glove?
desiderata
desiderata
Townie
desiderata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:16 am

Post by desiderata »

Well, I was throwing out an accusation to see how people reacted. I can't really have any information from two posts, now can I? So that's why I accused him. It's hard to play with people you don't know, but I find it strange (or at least, unhelpful) for people to be accused and not say anything about it :)
drewoftherushes
drewoftherushes
Goon
drewoftherushes
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:34 am

Post by drewoftherushes »

Hello all! I have significant RL experience at this, and I've played a few games on other forums (mostly much bigger). And I'm not voting until I think someone is scummy.

Are deadlines usually so long around here? Or is that just a newbie game thing? And how many games would an experienced user be playing at once?
Hoppster
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Hoppster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 am

Post by Hoppster »

You all seem to have avatars. Excellent. Much brighter place now.

@ 1joe60: According to the site, you joined almost 2 years ago? :eek:

@ Verbs: I actually have not played mafia on any other sites apart from this one. However, I've read a game on Epic Mafia, and if I'm honest it seemed to be less of a standard. Apologies to any of you who are regulars on Epic Mafia, I didn't mean to offend you if I have, and I suppose it's possible that it was that one random game where people played terribly. Was it an off-site game? I can't seem to find your other game.

@ desiderata: Yes, I will admit that struck me as a bit odd that Silver didn't react. However, regardless of this, only mafia would need to cover their tracks if Nacho was mafia. If Silver wasn't mafia, then he would have no need to cover his tracks. (I'm nitpicking, but I need to get discussion going.)

@ drew: It depends on the game/mod, deadline-wise. However, all Newbie Games do have a standard 3-week deadline. And with regards to how many games people play at once, it depends on the player's personal preference. Some prefer to dedicate more attention to one or two games, whereas some will have 5 on the go (or maybe even more). I myself have 2 games on the go, with a third in sign-ups. I wouldn't consider myself to be
heavily
experienced in RL mafia (as most of the people I play with kinda suck), so I'm not sure how 'sophisticated' your RL mafia is, but forum mafia is really quite different. Of course, everything you say is on record, and therefore it's a lot easier to see how your actions line up with what you say.

Also (and this applies to everybody else who hasn't voted as well),
don't be afraid of voting this early on
. You don't have to be 100% that the person you are voting for is mafia, as it's very unlikely that there will be a quick lynch directly from an early (or 'random') vote. It's just to spark discussion.

To all: I recommend that you use the vote and unvote tags when voting (and unvoting). They give your vote a white background, so it stands out. You can do this by clicking on the 'vote' and 'unvote' buttons respectively (duh), or by using the code:

Code: Select all

[unvote]Player A[/unvote] to unvote Player A
[vote]Player B[/vote] to vote Player B

It's not necessary to unvote before re-voting (although it makes it easier for the mod and other players to follow). If you do unvote, you also don't need specify the player you are unvoting (ie. 'Unvote: Player A') as 'Unvote' will suffice.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”