Newbie 1049 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Newbie 1049 (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 am

Post by sorasgoof »

Welcome. Welcome to my third ever modding endeavor, a game which will test your wits and boggle the mind. Well, not really, because it's a newbie game setup, but still. Let's play (and mod) to the best of our abilities!

Backup Mod: KittyMo

Game over!

Day 1 Start | Final Official Day 1 Vote Count | Ragnarokio replaces Ninja_Josiah |mb53 replaces Liar |
Day 1 Conclusion

Day 2 Start | Final Official Day 2 Vote Count/Day 2 Conclusion |
Amrun replaces Ragnarokio

Day 3 Start |
Final Official Day 3 Vote Count |
Day 3 End/Game End

Those Still With Us (Alive):
  • Sarn
    (Vanilla Townie)

Shadow1psc
    (Vanilla Townie)

Amrun
    replaces
    Ragnarokio
    replaces
    Ninja_Josiah
    (Vanilla Townie)

Nikanor (SE)
    (Vanilla Townie)
Those Who Have Passed (Dead):
  • GreyICE,
    Vanilla Townie
    , lynched Day 1
    vollkan (IC),
    Vanilla Townie
    shot Night 1
    tim_hill1990,
    Mafia Roleblocker
    , lynched Day 2
    mb53
    replaces
    Liar
    Vanilla Townie
    , shot Night 2
    Powerrox93 (SE),
    Mafia Goon,
    lynched Day 3
QTs:
SetupThis game uses the 9-player setup called F11, which consists of four possibilities:
  1. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
  2. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
  3. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
  4. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
Everything was chosen totally at random, from which of the four above setups was picked to the roles from each setup each player received.
Last edited by sorasgoof on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 48 times in total.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:50 am

Post by sorasgoof »

1. Each day you may try to lynch somebody. A lynch requires a total number of votes that is more than half the people alive (e.g. if 9 people are alive, 5 votes are needed for a lynch). Unvoting or changing your vote after someone has already reached a majority number of votes will have no effect. Day phases will last three weeks. At the deadline, the person with the most votes will be lynched (regardless of whether or not they have a majority of the votes). If there is a tie at the deadline, a No Lynch will occur, so make all decisions wisely!

2. You may vote for a no lynch on any day. A no lynch requires that exactly half of the living players vote for it (e.g. if 8 people are alive, 4 votes are needed to no lynch). If an odd number of players are alive, a no lynch requires the same number of votes as a lynch would (e.g. If 5 players are alive, 3 votes are needed to no lynch).

3. Please bold your votes and unvotes as such
Vote: sorasgoof
. I would appreciate it if you include the name of any person you unvote, but it is not required. I would also prefer that you unvote before voting, but that is also not required.

4. There is no talking to other players about game content outside of the thread during the day. You may only talk to other people outside the thread at night if it is part of your role. This rule applies even if you are dead.

5. Do not use color or size tags to create barely readable secret messages. Anyone caught doing either one of these will receive a strike. Unlike baseball, it’s only two strikes and you’re out here.

6. Do not directly quote PMs from the mod. Do not falsely quote PM's from the mod. You are allowed to paraphrase a mod PM. You are allowed to quote or paraphrase anything a mod says in the thread.

7. Once you are dead, you are dead. You may post a simple "BAW!" post, but no game related content. Something like "It's obvious who should be lynched" or "You got me, but for the wrong reasons" is game related content, even if you don't include people's names.

8. Everyone may post during twilight EXCEPT for the person who was lynched that day.

9. Try to be relatively civil to each other. We know you're trying to kill each other, but that's no reason to insult somebody's mother. Anyone who delves into the realm of flaming will receive a strike (obligatory reminder that two strikes and you’re out).

10. Just because I'm moderating this game doesn’t mean that I'm infallible. If you feel that a mistake was made, send a PM to me, explaining what is wrong. You may also address it in the thread like so:
@Mod: Vote totals are wrong.

11. I will try to have a vote count up every page or every twenty-four hours. If you feel that I have gone too long without putting up a vote count, please either ask for a vote count in thread or PM me to let me know. To ask for a vote count, please use this format:
@Mod: Vote totals, please.

12. Please let your fellow players and your mods know if you are going to be unable to post for a period of more than 48 hours. Please try to make at least one post per real-life day. Multiple posts in one day are even better.

13. If a person has gone 24 hours without posting in the thread, they are eligible for a user-requested prod, requested likeso: @Mod: Prod sorasgoof. Any user who goes over 48 hours without posting will be automatically prodded. Users who go 48 hours without responding to a prod will be replaced.

14. If you feel that this game is no longer fun, and is no longer something that you wish to be involved with, you may PM me asking to be replaced. All requests for replacement will be taken seriously, so do not jokingly send me a replacement request. If you are replaced, you are not allowed back into the game you have been dropped from, nor are you allowed to post in the game thread (until endgame).

15. Each game day will have last a maximum of 21 real days. If I feel the need to extend the deadline, I have the power to do so.

16. I reserve all other powers not explicitly stated here for use should the situation call for it.

17. Don't be afraid to ask questions about mafia via PM.

Note: In the event that a player receives two strikes, that player will be either force replaced or modkilled. We want to have fun here, people. Anyone that tries to ruin the game for everyone else does not deserve to be in the game any longer.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 am

Post by sorasgoof »

Possible Role PMs

Vanilla Townie
You are a
Vanilla Townie
, and you have no special powers at night. No investigations, no protection, nothing. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch mafia during the day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.

Please confirm via PM and send your role name with your confirmation so I know you read the PM.
Cop
You are a
Town Cop
, and you can tell good from bad. Each night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if they are a mafia member or a townie. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at night, and lynch well during the day.
You cannot investigate yourself.

Please confirm via PM and send your role name with your confirmation so I know you read the PM.
Doctor
You are a
Town Doctor
, and you can protect people from harm. Each nght, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the mafia, they will live. You win if the mafia is eliminated, so choose wisely at night, and try to lynch correctly during the day.
You may not protect yourself.

Mafia Goon
You are a
Mafia Goon
, along with your partner _________, who is a Mafia Roleblocker. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that there are equal numbers of town and mafia players or the mafia outnumbers the town; you win if either of these situations occur. During the day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner at night [QUICKTOPIC LINK HERE], and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill.

Mafia Roleblocker
You are a Mafia Roleblocker, along with your partner _________, who is a Mafia Goon. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that there are equal numbers of town and mafia players or the mafia outnumbers the town; you win if either of these situations occur. During the day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner at night [QUICKTOPIC LINK HERE], and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill. In addition, at night, you may choose one person and block them from using their ability. Doctors will not protect, and Cops will not receive an investigation. Use your power wisely.

Note: In the event that the Mafia Goon dies first, you have the ability to both kill and use your roleblocking ability.

Last edited by sorasgoof on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Post by sorasgoof »

Role PMs are going out now. When 7/9 players have confirmed (please confirm via PM), Day 1 will start. All players with Quicktopics may converse until then.

Guys, if you see a mistake ANYWHERE, please don't hesitate to point it out. I want this game to go smoothly. :D
Last edited by sorasgoof on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Post by sorasgoof »

It is now Day 1. The deadline for Day 1 is Saturday, January 29th at 11:59 ET.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Vote: vollkan.

You're the only person I recognize! I'M SO LONELY! HOLD ME VOLLKAN I KNOW YOU LOVE ME.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
Powerrox93
Powerrox93
Goon
Powerrox93
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Post by Powerrox93 »

VOTE: GreyICE
I've not played with you before
Hoping to make a comeback to mafia soon...

Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Post by Nikanor »

You've not played with me before, unless you're an alt. Are you an alt?
Powerrox93
Powerrox93
Goon
Powerrox93
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Post by Powerrox93 »

Nikanor wrote:You've not played with me before, unless you're an alt. Are you an alt?
No
Hoping to make a comeback to mafia soon...

Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 pm

Post by Nikanor »

How do you know you're not an alt? Or an alt of a clone of a robot, for that matter?
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:05 am

Post by sorasgoof »

Ragnarokio replaces Ninja_Josiah
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

Howdy.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:13 am

Post by sorasgoof »

Day 1 Vote Totals

If there is a mistake, point it out.

Last post seen:
Ragnarokio
, page 1.

[1] vollkan:
Nikanor [L-4]
[1] GreyICE:
Powerrox93 [L-4]

[0/5] No Lynch:
None

Not Voting:
Liar, Sarn, tim_hill1990, Shadow1psc, Ragnarokio, GreyICE, vollkan

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch. The deadline for Day 1 is January 28th, at 11:59 ET.
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:22 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

So what makes you guys so interesting?
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

VOTE: Liar

Yeah, that just happened.
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."
Sarn
Sarn
Townie
Sarn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:05 am

Post by Sarn »

vote: no lynch.
We have absolutely nothing to go off of yet. I'm not voting anyone til I have something to go on.
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

You don't need to vote no lynch just because you don't have anyone to lynch yet.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:50 am

Post by Nikanor »

I'm interesting because I'm such an upstanding model of excellence for everything ever.

Also nolynching is stupid and dumb and we're not doing it.

Ragnarokio, who do you think we should lynch?
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:57 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

I've got no reads on anyone yet cause the game just started. If everyone'll chat for a bit longer i might be able to find something to attack though.
Sarn
Sarn
Townie
Sarn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Post by Sarn »

I voted no lynch because a blind lynch with absolutely nothing has a greater chance of lynching a townie than a mafia. No-lynching is dumb later, yes, but right now, lynching with no information is just as dumb because we have a greater chance of lynching a townie than a mafia. As ragnarokio said, the game just started. I'll change if I see something scummy. If my no lynch vite disturbs you then I'll remove it.

unvote: no lynch

I won't blind vote though.
Sarn
Sarn
Townie
Sarn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Post by Sarn »

*blind lynch with absolutely nothing to support it
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Ragnarokio wrote:I've got no reads on anyone yet cause the game just started. If everyone'll chat for a bit longer i might be able to find something to attack though.
Are you scum or do you just not realise that attacking people is scumhunting? How many games have you played?

Sarn, do you think that nolynch is a bad idea or are you just unvoting to appease us?
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Post by Ragnarokio »

My view of mafia:

The town has three essential resources in a normal game of mafia, the first resource is power roles, and although they play an important role in the game they don't in this discussion.

The second and third resources are what are important, and they are: Townies and Information

Townies dictate two things, first, they act as a countdown, the number of townies in a game is virtually always dropping at a rate equal to or greater than the mafia, and so the game is reflected as a time limit. We have a certain number of days to lynch both scum, since unless we lynch scum every day, and then get some doc protects on top of everything, we're going to always be losing as many or more townies than scum players. The second thing townies do is determine how much sway scum have over the lynch. If scum make up a larger portion of the player pool, the success rate of lynching scum will be lower, because they'll have that much more influence over the game.

Information is the second resource. It's function mirrors almost exactly townie's second function, it improves the chances of a successful scum lynch. When Information is present, scum will more naturally become lynch targets, with enough information, scum's influence will be completely countered and the power will be in the hands of the town.

Now, on the topic of no lynching.

Townies are always dropping, nothing you can do about it. We're always approaching the end of the game and scum are increasingly gaining more influence over the town (unless we lynch them).

Information is, in a normal game, always increasing. With increase in information, comes greater chance at lynching scum.

We're on a time limit, and what we have to do is make three successful lynches before we run out of time. Trying to conserve townies instead of gaining information is a bad move, because you can't REALLY conserve townies, it's always dropping anyway. Likewise, it's hard to ever counter information, it's always rising. I can't give you the exact values or anything, but by playing through a day with the intention of lynching somebody, information is generated, and the information generated is worth more to the game than the extra townie we are likely to lose.

@Nikanor: I've played a few games (I think 3) games here, and some more on other sites. The definition and seperation of the terms "Attack" and "Scumhunt" may differ from site to site, what i meant is that i would wait until somebody did something that i felt was an indication of scum alignment, and then i'd attack them, which would either yield partial confirmation of their alignment to me, in which case i'd probably try to push a lynch, or realization that my case is not worth much, in which case i'd go back to looking for something else that seems worth pursuing.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Oh jeez that's a lot of text.
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Post by Ragnarokio »

yeah sorry that whole explanation came out longer than i anticipated.

tl;dr: No lynch is bad because the information generated from putting townie lives on the line ultimately increases town chance of victory more than losing a townie that day decreases it.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”