Newbie 1003: Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Newbie 1003: Game over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:12 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Today you were all distressed to find out that some mafia have moved into your poor little town! What are you going to do about it? The only thing you can do, lynch them!

Game status

Game over

Deadline

N/A

Latest vote count

Sotty7 Post 339 wrote:
18th vote count of day one!

:right: Elleran: 5 (TheBadOne, Fenhl, 2003041, Finner, GLaDOS)

Fenhl: 2 ( Elleran, Black Mist)
Black Mist: 2 (I am Innocent, Withnail)

Not voting: (No one)

Alive: 5

Fenhl
TheBadOne
Withnail
I Am Innocent
Mitsuru Kirijo
(SE)
GLaDOS (IC)

Dead: 4

Elleran (SE) was lynched on day one. He was the
mafia roleblocker

Finner was killed on night one. He was a
townie

Black Mist was lynched on day two. She was a
townie

Craig12
was killed on night two. He was the
doctor

The Inexperience Challenged (IC) player is here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
The Semi-experienced (SE) players have a level of experience somewhere between a newbie and an IC.
Last edited by Sotty7 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 am, edited 22 times in total.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:13 am

Post by Sotty7 »

General rules
  • This is a game. HAVE FUN!
  • Respect your fellow players at
    all times.
    If I feel attacks are getting too personal or out of hand I will replace/mod kill you as I see fit.
  • Do not quote any private mod/player communications. Do not pretend to quote private mod/player communications. Doing so will result in a modkill.
  • There is to be
    no
    communication outside this thread unless your PM states otherwise.
  • This is my color. Please do not use it.
Game play rules
  • Mod kills will end the day.
  • All votes must be in all
    bold
    to count and in the following format:
    Vote: Sotty
    . Unvotes are nice, but not required. I will not tolerate any kind of voting tricks. You have been warned.
  • A lynch will be reached when a majority of players (one-half of the living players plus one) vote for a specific player.
  • Once this point is reached, no amount of unvoting will stop the lynch.
  • Each day will have a deadline of three weeks. In extreme circumstances I will extend the deadline by a few days (no more than a week)
  • If a majority hasn't been reached by the deadline, then there will be a
    no lynch

• Each night will have a deadline of three days.
  • Once a lynch has been reached, all players, (including the lynched player) may continue to post until I can get on and lock the thread.
  • Once you're dead.. Well you're dead. No more posting, dead people can't type! They also can't talk to others still in the game and tell them any info they may or may not have. Simple “bah” posts are allowed, I will delete anything else.
The everything else rules
  • No invisible text, encrypted text, stupidly small text or hiding text inside [ color = black ] tags.
  • I will try and get a votecount up every page or every 24 hours. Feel free to request a vote count at any time.
  • Prods will go out if you haven't posted in 72 hours. If you don't pick up that prod in 48 hours I will look for a replacement.
  • If you think you won't be able to post in the thread for a couple of days then please post a notice letting everyone know just that.
  • Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Bold all requests to the mod to make them easier for me not to miss.
  • I'm human, I make mistakes. Feel free to point out mistakes with small things such as the votecount in thread. If you have issues with the game on a bigger level then please PM me.
Useful Links
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:14 am

Post by Sotty7 »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via this quick topic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • You can find the game thread here
  • Please confirm you have read and understood this PM by sending me a PM back stating your role. Thank you
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia via this quick topic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • Please confirm you have read and understood this PM by sending me a PM back stating your role. Thank you

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person's guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:15 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Setup is being generated. Role PMs will be out shortly. Please hold.

Role PMs are out, confirm by PM. Once I get 7 confirms the game will start.
Elleran
Elleran
Goon
Elleran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 am

Post by Elleran »

Hello, I am one of the two SE's here. Good luck to everyone, and hoping for a good game.

Vote: TheBadOne

for being a bad one.
Helloran Elleran
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 am

Post by Sotty7 »

With seven quick confirms, the game starts.
Good luck!
Mitsuru Kirijo
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 am

Post by Mitsuru Kirijo »

Hi guys. I'm the other SE. Nice to meet you all.

Vote Black Mist
It must be a black mist of doom. Let's lynch him.
TheBadOne
TheBadOne
Townie
TheBadOne
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:20 am

Post by TheBadOne »

Elleran wrote:Hello, I am one of the two SE's here. Good luck to everyone, and hoping for a good game.

Vote: TheBadOne

for being a bad one.
I know now that I made a very very bad move with taking that name :(

Vote: Fenl

For being first on the list
Black Mist
Black Mist
Townie
Black Mist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 am

Post by Black Mist »

*sigh* Why do they always assume I'm a guy?
Show
Hello, I'm Black Mist.
-------------------------------------------
I have played a total of 3 games.
Game 1: Mod Disappeared
Game 2: Had to get replaced
Game 3: Mafia Keellled me N1
Game 4: Lynched Day 2
Elleran
Elleran
Goon
Elleran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 am

Post by Elleran »

Black Mist wrote:*sigh* Why do they always assume I'm a guy?
People mistake that I'm a girl quite often, too. >.<
Helloran Elleran
Fenhl
Fenhl
Goon
Fenhl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

Post by Fenhl »

Warning: This post contains links to tvtropes!

Hi everybody!

I don't like RVS. VOTE: Elleran for starting it.

What? That makes perfect sense! :shifty:

For the same reason, I'd like to start RQS (Random Questions Stage) by asking each of you:
  1. What is your Mafia experience outside of ms?
  2. What is the origin of your nickname?
I'll start by answering my own questions:
  1. I've played and moderated lots of face-to-face Werewolf games with a different ruleset to which I have contributed many rules, and I've been playing a few games on [url=irc://irc.globalgamers.net/mafia]xmafia[/url].
  2. I have created a conlang with the corresponding conworld, and in this conworld Fenhl-Tanbusraz is my Author Avatar (to some extent at least), with Fenhl being his birthplace (the naming system there is Birthplace-PersonalName, as opposed to PersonalName FamilyName).
Preview Edit:
Elleran wrote:People mistake that I'm a girl quite often, too. >.<
No wonder, with a nick that starts with the French word for "she".
Mini Normal 1145 ÔÇö Plain Mafia: No replacements needed. If you want me to notify you when a replacement is needed, PM me!
GLaDOS
GLaDOS
Goon
GLaDOS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:47 am

Post by GLaDOS »

... Processing ...

Hello, and welcome to Newbie Game #1003. I am programmed to act as your resident Inexperience-Challenged (IC) Player. Due to Mafiascum protocol, I am prohibited to lie to you about my understanding of Mafia Theory. Therefore, if you have any questions about the game, I will attempt to give you a complete and accurate response to the best of my ability. Our two Semi-Experienced (SE) Players should also be able to serve this function.

Vote: Black Mist

I have two queries for you:

1.)
Is there a reason you posted without voting?
2.)
What is preferable on Day One of a Newbie Game? A lynch on a townsperson, or a No Lynch?
"Aperture Science: We do what we must because we can."
Mitsuru Kirijo
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 am

Post by Mitsuru Kirijo »

Sorry. I assume everyone is a guy at first. Even though I'm not. But I know now.

I played on a forum I'm on. But it was preeeetty much RVS from start to finish. My nickname is from a Persona 3 character.
GLaDOS
GLaDOS
Goon
GLaDOS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 am

Post by GLaDOS »

... Processing ...
Fenhl, Post 10 wrote:What is your Mafia experience outside of ms?
I have played on five separate forums (four of which I no longer frequent), I have attended five Mafiascum Meets, and I have also played casually with persons who do not frequent Mafiascum.
Fenhl, Post 10, cont. wrote:What is the origin of your nickname?
GLaDOS stands for Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System. I am featured in the computer game
Portal

Query:

1.)
Do you think these particular questions are likely to aide in scumhunting?
Mitsuru Kirijo
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:59 am

Post by Mitsuru Kirijo »

EBWODP: Are you asking us all that, Glados, or just BM?
Elleran
Elleran
Goon
Elleran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:00 am

Post by Elleran »

Fenhl wrote:
Warning: This post contains links to tvtropes!

Hi everybody!

I don't like RVS. VOTE: Elleran for starting it.

What? That makes perfect sense! :shifty:

For the same reason, I'd like to start RQS (Random Questions Stage) by asking each of you:
I'll start by answering my own questions:
  1. I've played and moderated lots of face-to-face Werewolf games with a different ruleset to which I have contributed many rules, and I've been playing a few games on [url=irc://irc.globalgamers.net/mafia]xmafia[/url].
  2. I have created a conlang with the corresponding conworld, and in this conworld Fenhl-Tanbusraz is my Author Avatar (to some extent at least), with Fenhl being his birthplace (the naming system there is Birthplace-PersonalName, as opposed to PersonalName FamilyName).
Preview Edit:
Elleran wrote:People mistake that I'm a girl quite often, too. >.<
No wonder, with a nick that starts with the French word for "she".
About the PREVIEW EDIT, yes... I did not anticipate the responses that I have received from my name at the time of my username's creation.

Anyway, back to the game.

My username comes from an ID from another game that I play. It's like my semi-universal username for games that I play.

For my experience, I've been playing on this site for few months now. This is my third newbie game, and fifth game overall. I've played in real life for at least 4 years now, but I've been on this site long enough to realize that not all strategy that works in real life is applicable on an online mafia. (and vice versa)

About your vote against me about my RVS, I always start off my newbie games with an RVS but your reasoning makes sense to me.

[SE]
Yes. Like GLaDOS said, us SE and IC are here to help. We'll try to answer any game related guestions to the best of our abilities.
[/SE]
Helloran Elleran
Mitsuru Kirijo
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:01 am

Post by Mitsuru Kirijo »

By which I mean the questions in your first post.

Mhm. Any questions you have, we're here to help.
TheBadOne
TheBadOne
Townie
TheBadOne
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 am

Post by TheBadOne »

What is your Mafia experience outside of ms?
I played the games a lot of times in RT, and also played it on 2 boards (both dutch boards)

What is the origin of your nickname?
I use this nickname on every game I play.
Fenhl
Fenhl
Goon
Fenhl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 am

Post by Fenhl »

TheBadOne wrote:
Vote: Fenl

For being first on the list
You misspelled my nick. That's fine with me if you can pronounce it. The way you spelled it, it's /fɛn͜l/ in the IPA. Yes, that's an /n/ directly followed by an /l/.
I know however that the inhabitants of my conworld can't pronounce it. The correct pronounciation is /fɛn.xəl/, so try that if you can't pronounce “Fenl”.

By the way, I have school tomorrow from 8AM to 1PM GMT, so don't expect me to reply from now until then, even if I'm online. The reply feature doesn't work well on smartphones.

Preview Edit:
Answer to GLaDOS' Question #1: Not much, but more than random votes alone. They add
content
to the game.
Mini Normal 1145 ÔÇö Plain Mafia: No replacements needed. If you want me to notify you when a replacement is needed, PM me!
Elleran
Elleran
Goon
Elleran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 am

Post by Elleran »

Question to everyone:
How often can you post per day? Available on weekends? etc.

This is important because so that we know that we don't mistake unavailable with lurking.

I will probably post at least once every day.
Helloran Elleran
TheBadOne
TheBadOne
Townie
TheBadOne
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:07 am

Post by TheBadOne »

I am available very often, I can post here a lot of times, and I'll try to be as active as possible
GLaDOS
GLaDOS
Goon
GLaDOS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:17 am

Post by GLaDOS »

... Processing ...

Mitsuro Kurijo, my queries are directed towards specific persons, unless I state otherwise.

Elleran, I try to post at least once a day, but I have multiple experiments that require my attention outside of mafia which may cause me to miss posting occasionally. However, because this is a Newbie Game, I shall endeavor to give it more attention than my average game... for science. I will announce any extended absences ahead of time.
Mitsuru Kirijo
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Mitsuru Kirijo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:22 am

Post by Mitsuru Kirijo »

Understood.

I can manage a post every day or two at worst.
Fenhl
Fenhl
Goon
Fenhl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Post by Fenhl »

Oops, I made a mistake. School starts at 6AM (in 30 minutes) and ende at 11AM, GMT.
On Tuesdays and Fridays I have school till 11AM, on Mondays and Wednesdays till 3PM, and on Thursdays till 1:30PM.
When I don't have school I have almost always time, including weekends.
Withnail
Withnail
Goon
Withnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Post by Withnail »

Hello all,

Let me start by answering the questions asked already.

From Fenhl

1. None at all. But so far it looks fun & very interesting. I like games with some strategy and logical thinking.

2. Withnail is a character in a film called "Withnail and I". That's him in my avatar picture, played by Richard E. Grant. It might look like he's a vampire, but actually he's just acting surprised right after biting off a mouthful of food.

From Elleran
- How often can you post per day? Available on weekends?
I intend to post almost every day; maybe a bit less likely at weekends, depending on family commitments.
Also I'm in the UK so the timezone difference may mean I can't often interact "live" with some of you.

I think that's all the questions asked so far.

If I understand correctly, people are voting pretty much randomly at the moment, to encourage discussion and get everyone involved in the game. So I'll
Vote: Craig12

... for not posting yet.

"never suffer a lurker to live" - camn

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”