Newbie 1023 -- Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Newbie 1023 -- Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Welcome to NewbieVille! You've been hearing the news lately, and it's been just about the same thing, day in, day out. Except lately, there's been a sudden increase in unexplained crime. You've been ignoring it for a while, figuring it would go away, but it's just getting worse. Suddenly, the town Council has convened an Emergency Meeting, and chosen nine exemplary townfolk (you included!) to serve as a Committee for Dealing With Stuff.
As a member of this Committee, you have been given the power to question everyone in town and to decide who among you has infiltrated the town in order to take over. You, as a Committee, have the power to lynch one person each Day. Good luck!

Game Status

Game Over

Deadline

No deadline, as the game has finished.

Current Votecount
:

Player List:

Alive: (6/9)

tayto
ardnek
AzBlueM
mothrax
bazyn

holycon (SE)
AGar (IC)

Dead: (3/9)

Spoiler: Here there be bodies
Rebel Jeb, Mafia Roleblocker,
lynched Day One

Akira, Vanilla Townie,
shot Night One

Mirhawk, Mafia Goon,
lynched Day Two
Last edited by Nobody Special on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 am, edited 25 times in total.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:09 am

Post by Nobody Special »

My Newbie Ruleset
(from KittyMo; provenance further within)

Game Rules (Modified from Zorblag, who modified them from Vel-Rahn Koon):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as:
Vote: PlayerName. Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.

5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. This game will have 3 week deadlines. At deadline, the player (or No Lynch) with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker will be the player who has the first active vote on them. Should there be no active votes at deadline no one will be lynched.
8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

Bold, blue
text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:
....what?

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:11 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Game Setup information:

The setup used for newbie games is F11. That includes this one. That means that one of these four setups have been randomly selected to be used for this game:
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Town Cop, 1 Town Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Doctor, 6 Vanilla Townies

There will always be two mafia players and seven town players.

Here, following, are all the role pms:

[color=red][b]Mafia Roleblocker[/b][/color] wrote:XXXXX,
Welcome to Newbie 1023! You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
. You have a partner, and their name is
_________
. S/he is a
Mafia Goon
You may talk during pregame, which is until I start the game, or at night, using {this Quicktopic}.

Each night, you or your partner may send me the name of a player you would like to kill.
As long as you are alive, you or your partner may also send me the name of a player you would like to roleblock, preventing any night ability they might have from taking effect. If you, as Roleblocker, are the only mafia alive, you may submit both a Kill and a Roleblock.

You win if the Mafia comprise at least half the town, or if nothing can prevent the same from happening.

The game topic is here. Please confirm in-thread.

Good luck!
~~NS

[color=red][b]Mafia Goon[/b][/color] wrote:XXXXX,

Mafia Goon
. You have a partner, and their name is
_________
. S/he is a {
Mafia Goon
/
Mafia Roleblocker
}.
You may talk during pregame, which is until I start the game, or at night, using {this Quicktopic}.

Each night, you or your partner may send me the name of a player you would like to kill.

You win if the Mafia comprise at least half the town, or if nothing can prevent the same from happening.

Good luck!
~~NS

[color=olive][b]Town Cop[/b][/color] wrote:XXXXX,
Welcome to Newbie 1023! You are the
Town Cop

Each night, you may send me the name of someone you'd like to investigate. At the end of the night, if you're still alive, I will tell you if that player is Town or Mafia. Your results are guaranteed to be accurate, but if you are roleblocked you will be told there is No Result. You may not target yourself.

You win if all of the Mafia are dead.

Good luck!
~~NS

[color=olive][b]Town Doctor[/b][/color] wrote:XXXXX,
Welcome to Newbie 1023! You are the
Town Doctor

Each night, you may send me the name of someone you'd like to protect. If that player is targeted by a kill, that kill will fail. Your protection is guaranteed to work unless you are roleblocked. You will not be informed if you are roleblocked. You may not target yourself.

Good luck!
~NS

[color=green][b]Vanilla Townie[/b][/color] wrote:XXXXX,
Vanilla Townie

Each night, you may do nothing but sleep in your bed with the fear that you may be the next to die. Use every day wisely, you never know which one might be your last!

Good luck!
~~NS
....what?

Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 am

Post by Nobody Special »

Role PMs are being sent out.

All Role PMs have been sent out. Once seven players have confirmed in-thread, the game will begin.
....what?

holycon
holycon
Goon
holycon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:39 am

Post by holycon »

/ confirm
Something good... something good... You look like SNOOPY and it makes me smile... but you have smelly dog farts.

I'm a girl so please don't call me a him he or dude =)
tayto
tayto
Townie
tayto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 am

Post by tayto »

confirmed
bazyn
bazyn
Townie
bazyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 am

Post by bazyn »

/confirm
bazyn at boardgamegeek.com
ardnek
ardnek
Townie
ardnek
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by ardnek »

/confirm
AzBlueM
AzBlueM
Goon
AzBlueM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Post by AzBlueM »

*confirms* *click*
Do not call me "he"

my pronoun is "she", I will

call you out on it
donny514
donny514
Townie
donny514
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by donny514 »

hey, just wondering if i could still join. It would be my first game and i really don't want to wait for another game to start.
Mirhawk
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Post by Mirhawk »

\confirm
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

donny514 wrote:hey, just wondering if i could still join. It would be my first game and i really don't want to wait for another game to start.
No, this game is full. You can join in the Newbie Queue -- and there are replacement requests in the first post of that thread; perhaps you could replace in rather than waiting for a new game to start. Good luck!
....what?

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Post by AGar »

/confirm.

Damn, I don't recognize either SE.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Union Abe
Union Abe
Townie
Union Abe
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:12 am

Post by Union Abe »

/confirm
Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 am

Post by Akira »

/confirm

Up to now, both of my two games have had someone bulging in like donny there. It must be part of the procedure here. :roll:
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 am

Post by Nobody Special »

With everyone confirmed, Day One has started.

Deadline: November 11, 11:11:11 am

Not voting: AGar, Akira, ardnek, AzBlueM, bazyn, holycon, Mirhawk, Rebel Jeb, tayto

With 9 alive, it is 5 to lynch.
....what?

Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 am

Post by Akira »

No RVS guys, totally pointless. Rather, let's find a good question to ask everyone and then work on the answers.

Nice deadline there. :D
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:18 am

Post by Nobody Special »

I couldn't help myself when I found out which day it fell on.
:cool:
....what?

bazyn
bazyn
Townie
bazyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:25 am

Post by bazyn »

Akira wrote:No RVS guys, totally pointless. Rather, let's find a good question to ask everyone and then work on the answers.

Nice deadline there. :D

##vote Akira

;)
bazyn
bazyn
Townie
bazyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

Post by bazyn »

To be serious: I cannot think of a question which would work nicely to move the game forward. If you want to leave the RVS phase and you know of such a question just ask it.
holycon
holycon
Goon
holycon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:09 am

Post by holycon »

VOTE: tayto

for making me want to eat potatos
Something good... something good... You look like SNOOPY and it makes me smile... but you have smelly dog farts.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 am

Post by AGar »

Good morning game (I know it's night, but hush you!). I'm AGar, I'm your friendly IC this game.

1) As your IC, I am not exempt from any rules, random number generators or other such things. What does this mean? It means that while I'm here to guide you, I am also a player in this game. I am just as likely to be scum as any one of you. I am also just as equally enforced to follow our friendly mod's rules.

2) As your IC, there are things I can not do. These things include teach you improper gameplay, mislead you in any way about site basics and improperly show you how things work around here. However, I can be a lying son of a bitch about things like my role, my potential night actions (or lack thereof) or anything else that helps me play to my wincon.

3) When pointing something out that is IC-related, I will be using these bolded IC tags:
[IC][/IC]
. That is stuff you know to be my 100% honest representation of the way things work around here.

[IC]
One of my first recommendations for you all is to read the Commonly used abbreviations list. Familiarize yourself with them, and peruse some of the articles elsewhere on the wiki. Don't take them for the word of a god, but there is useful information to be found there
[/IC]

[IC]
Games on MafiaScum generally open one of two ways: The Random Voting Stage (RVS) or the Random Question Stage (RQS). Both of them have their respective pro's and con's, but neither is better than the other. I was initially taught that RQS was superior in my first newbie game, a long time ago in a number bracket far, far away (700's. Yikes!). But in the 20 or so games since, I've come to find neither is better. RVS goes exactly as it implies. The RQS is also quite simple - you ask questions, that are usually a mix of relevant and/or irrelevant to the game, to the players for answers. The goal of each (RVS/RQS) is to stimulate the game into a point where actual discussion begins based on something you see.
[/IC]

I'll be doing RQS today, as I haven't done it in a while.

@Akira - Who would you investigate if you were a cop?
@Tayto - Are you happy with your role? Are you happy just in general?
@ardnek - Do you prefer town or scum roles?
@Rebel Jeb - Who would you kill if you were scum?
@AzBlueM - Who is your scum buddy?
@bazyn - Are you a phenomenal liar?
@holycon - Policy lynches - good or bad?
@Mirhawk - Lynch all Liars - good or bad?
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
bazyn
bazyn
Townie
bazyn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am

Post by bazyn »

AGar wrote: @bazyn - Are you a phenomenal liar?
That question is way too personal ;P No, I don't think of myself as a good liar (well not in mafia games, which I think is relevant). I guess that's a matter of lack of experience - from about 10 games I played on forums I was only once on the mafia side of the town.
holycon
holycon
Goon
holycon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Post by holycon »

I don't thing there good but I dont think there bad i dont usually promote them but i have agreed with them but i would prefer a lynch that involved scum hunting over Policy

Mirhawk
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Post by Mirhawk »

AGar wrote:@Mirhawk - Lynch all Liars - good or bad?
Situational.

In most cases I would lean towards for. In a newbie game I cannot think of a single way in which lying could benefit the town. However in some games it is possible that a townie could have a valid reason for it. In any case I would have to reserve judgment until after they have explained themselves.

I'm curious as to how much experience with mafia everyone here has. I'm only on my third game here on mafiascum. However I've been playing it on and off for years.

Oh and
Vote: Ardnek
Your name amuses me.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”