Newbie #492 - GAME OVER

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (isolation #0) » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:18 am

Post by Xaivius »

Vote: Variable

Because I can :twisted:
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 pm

Post by Xaivius »

UNVOTE; VOTE: ZOMBIEWOOF

lurkers!
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (isolation #2) » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:40 am

Post by Xaivius »

on to more serious voting, I see

UNVOTE

any chances of a prod at our two lurkers?

also, how is the random vote phase scummy?
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:24 am

Post by Xaivius »

I reccommend prodding the lurkers...

with a large, pointy object.

other than that, I'm not seeing too much...
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (isolation #4) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 am

Post by Xaivius »

Dead Rikimaru wrote:
Xaivius wrote:I reccommend prodding the lurkers...

with a large, pointy object.

other than that, I'm not seeing too much...
I see you have been reading old games.;)
yup. Seems like in every game, one should beware of two people: The loudest one and the quietest one...
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (isolation #5) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:52 am

Post by Xaivius »

You seem to be looking for a fix formula to find scum easily.
It's not that simple.
For example, lynch all lurkers is a common scum strategy, since the best scum can lose is a useless partner. But there is always a number of protown players they can get lynched that way before their partner is touched.

You cannot rely on the strategy by itself.
You must analyze case by case.

Mind to share what are the best games you have read and the players you liked the most?
I was merely making a generalization, in that I've seen a number of games where a scum has stayed in the shadows, usually only coming out for a game-winning hammer. It pays, in my mind, to keep an eye on anyone who seems to be lurking.

I've followed a couple games, and one of the more entertaining players I've seen is ZONEACE, mostly because he's so damn caustic, yet he tends to play well. Also tends to get OMGUSed rather often for his attitude. I'm still following Mafia 70, which has just barely hit deadline Day 1...
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (isolation #6) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:55 am

Post by Xaivius »

Also, mod, can we get an updated vote count? I unvoted in post 16, but you still have me on vote...
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (isolation #7) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:15 am

Post by Xaivius »

Variable wrote:Hrm, not much content yet.

I have a proposal: if the two mafia wouldn't mind stepping forward and announcing themselves, that'd be great. Just a simple "yeah, I'm scum." (Outing your partner as well isn't required, but it
is
encouraged.)

Thanks in advance...

:lol:
I concur. Let's get some scum out here! Quit hiding, you rigatoni-eating kneecappers!
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (isolation #8) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Post by Xaivius »

Golgi wrote:X and V ... Hmmm I am a relatively new player here. This is my second game. There is little that I dislike more than looking stupid. So to avoid the inevitable for as long as possible I have been reading up on common scum tell. It seems that one of the most common scum tell is joking about being scum or making a joke about others being scum. It not only seems like you have nothing to say and are talking because the silence makes you nervous. I like a joke as well as the next guy but you both popping up together with a common scum tell makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Id like to hear from others and from X and V on why they thought it was necessary to do that at the time that they did.
You paint with a broad brush, my friend. Another common scum tell is a severe lack of activity, as the scum are "staying on the low down." However, there is no "sure-fire" tell that can identify scum, and my comments are mostly of the "smack the tree and see what falls out" vein. My suspicion has not been severely tripped yet, so thusly I'm on a bit of a bored kick. I have a bit of trepidation about firing off a nomination, as there has been little to no activity.

Your approach is informed, but seems to be unusually defensive for town play.

FOS: GOLGI
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (isolation #9) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:22 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Ladies and gentlemen, let us not forget that on the internet, a words connotation is far more varied due to lack of personal contact, and that misunderstandings are far more frequent.

That being said, goofing around while at -2 seems pretty nonchalant for a townie. We'll see what comes up.
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (isolation #10) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:23 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Stubbs seems to be dead...

anybody wanna peanut?
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (isolation #11) » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Pong
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (isolation #12) » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:15 am

Post by Xaivius »

Variable was for a time, and is now at 1. Pretty strong suspicions running amok about the group, from the looks of it, and this group is playing very defensively, trying not to give away anything...

most interesting
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (isolation #13) » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:06 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Alright, after some watching of Variable, I'm getting scum vibes myself. Not because of joking, but the fact that he's been fairly OMGUS on his suspicions, while throwing them about like a clown with a cart full of pies. He's distracting from real investigation, and seems to be pushing overly hard on the "oh no, I'm not scum! Really!" button. Seems more backpedaling than innocence.

VOTE: Variable
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (isolation #14) » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:04 am

Post by Xaivius »

'm rather unhappy with this vote, you had been linked with variable and insteasd of showing your dismay at that, you just vote your way out
I wouldn't put it as pushing suspicion off. I believe I adequately outlined my suspicions, and made my decision based on the available data. I'm fairly convinced, from his behavior patterns, that V is scum. I am, of course, open to suggestion, but for the moment, I'm curious about his seeming to downplay continuingly more serious accusations of scumminess. I'm not working on a "scumtell," I'm working on an individual analysis.
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (isolation #15) » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:06 am

Post by Xaivius »

you voted, when you should of FOS, that to me is scummy
that to me is scummy
to you, it may seem scummy to be direct and forthwith with a vote. I would be more suspicious of someone who didn't vote if they had a solid case. You are, by the way, now defending V fairly staunchly. Intriguing. Would you be so kind as to explain your thoughts on why V isn't scum, and who you think might be if he is not?
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (isolation #16) » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Post by Xaivius »

appleof88 wrote:i'm just not ready to go into night voting for Variable gets us no where. it just puts un into night and we lose a townie.

i get curious over the over reaction to Golgi about joking. but so far, hes has not lashed out in voting and only FOS and played the game well so far

i'm not defending him, as the only person you can trust is yourself in a game of scum. i just think he seems like a scape goat for voting and i don't want to see a person voted now. but at the moment if we hit the deadline, we will only be hurt

no townie can win with deadlines

MOD CAN WE POKE A FEW OTHER PEOPLE?
You make some excellent points here, especially on the concept that one can only trust one's self. A lot of the arguments that are presented seem to boil down to OMGUS or WIFOM. The greater part of the game seems to be that of talking. I somewhat agree with the deadline comment, as not lynching someone is worse in the long run than lynching someone, as if we lynch, we have a chance of actually getting one of the rat bastages, but at night, they WILL nail one of us.

V, I can itemize the points I have on you, if you like. All I've seen from you is handwaving and saying "None of this is serious." I would postulate that pro-town play would be far more concerned with making sure that another townie wasn't lynched, including one's self. I greatly anticipate your reply.

also, seconding Apple's global poke...

X
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (isolation #17) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:16 am

Post by Xaivius »

People seem to be attributing a lack of humor to my vote, and that is patently not true. I believe that humor is all well and good, but one should make some sort of explanation when the votes start stacking up. After perusing my list, here's what the scumdar pulled up on V:

a continued disregard for his own safety, even at -1
use of OMGUS as a justification for votes and FOS
use of absolute statements "Only mafia make up scumtells."
percieved attempts at defraying a vote.

now, this was enough to convince me to vote. I had some scummy suspicions, which have abated somewhat. If you're not scum, V, then why are you ignoring your peril. If you're not, then the mafia need exactly toilet paper to hammer you. Understanding that, I'm going to pull you out of instant kill range for now, and we'll see what comes up.

UNVOTE

Apple, you are REALLY getting buddy buddy with V. I mentioned it before, I believe, or if i didn't, then that post got eaten by the boards.
TINY FOS: Apple

someone prod golgi again....

hrm... looking at his comments makes me shudder. his first was vauge enough to make the scumdar squeal a bit, and he's staying in the background pretty well.

FOS: Golgi
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (isolation #18) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 am

Post by Xaivius »

Points 1 and 4 are contradictory.
apologies. Clarification is in order. Point 1 was the disregard of your own safety. Point 4 was the defraying of a GENERAL vote on someone. admittedly, I will say that my reasoning, from this standpoint, is fairly shaky, and it helps to have someone look over it.

point 2 is fairly solid. When the reasoning is bad, OMGUS is just bad form. It can seem somewhat pouty or panicky in SOME situations. Given your reasoning, however, your style seems somewhat more in line with your reasoning. point conceded.

point 3 is going to go round in circles forever, but here's the gist of it. A scumtell is usually a series of patterns seen in scum, from post analysis. Scum do not always make up scum tells, as a townie will do it themselves as a general guideline. An absolute is simply poor form, as it compartmentalizes a bit TOO much.

none the less, I got answered, which I wanted, so I'm content for the moment.

X
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (isolation #19) » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Variable wrote:
Unvote.

I have a list of suspects, but I'm not going to present them just yet. We need more discussion -- even if it's about lynching me for making stupid jokes.

FoS: Dead Rikimaru
. It was your idea to present a list of suspects; why didn't you start us off? Instead, it almost sounds like you're asking for us to list bandwagons we may be partial to.

I
can
say that, after a re-read, if Xaivius is on my list, he's not at the top.

Code: Select all

#stupid_joke
I concur with this statement...

also

love the programmer joke...

X
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (isolation #20) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:00 am

Post by Xaivius »

oh dear. you want to really stir things up, don't you apple?

your play is getting less and less consistent as time goes on, and some of reasoning has holes that would make swiss chees envious
i do wonder however, Silverwalker can't really be held by the actions of his predecessor. but the first thing he does is vote
actually, he MUST be held by the actions of his predecessor, lest we ignore evidence of scum. When one replaces in, sometimes you get left holding the bag, and you get to try to explain why this jackass left you in a bad spot.
I defended the under dog
really now. So you defended him for no other reason than that he had votes? I, at least, posted my logic behind my choice to vote, and we got some answers out of V. I becoming more and more suspicious of you.

HOS: Apple

Why would I be on anyone's suspect list when I have only posted twice? Would someone please like to explain it to a guy who is learning the ropes?

Anyway, first place: Variable

Second and third: I have one guy in mind, but I don't like to say anything for now, I want to see more posts before I start something. I am sorry if I spoil it for people by not talking enough, but I can't just throw something out there without having more to go on than I have now.
I have to say, this looks pretty suspicious actually. You're voting on logic I, the voter, later found somewhat fallacious. This could very well be an attempt to hammer, and it is VERY disturbing for a first move. Also, your predecessor left with an air of suspicion around him, which isn't helping things.

FOS: Silver
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #126 (isolation #21) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:27 am

Post by Xaivius »

I find your attack leaves a bitter taste in my mouth

as you are top of my scumdar

i feel i should step it up
vote Xaivius
ladies and gentlemen, I give you a sterling example of OMGUS voting. I point out that he's exhibiting suspicious behavior, and BAM!

Oh
My
God
You
Suck

take into account, that this is the same person who chided me for voting rather than FOSing...

X
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (isolation #22) » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Well, this will be a fun couple of days. What is the record time for a single day? I see this game started last Saturday.
I've seen several of the big games go for a few months on day one. Nasty stuff...

X
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (isolation #23) » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Post by Xaivius »

Xaivius, your top of my scamdar, by voting for me, your asking to be voted for!

i would like to hear Silverwalker 2 and 3 please
Vote Count of I need to do something here to feel like I'm not slacking:

Variable (3) -- somestrangeflea, Zombie_Woof, SilverWalker
Xaivius (1) -- appleof88

Not Voting (3) -- Xaivius, Dead Rikimaru
you sir, need to reread the thread. False accusations, proven to the masses.

QED

Xaivius
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #160 (isolation #24) » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Post by Xaivius »

I'm waiting for an opportunity to say something that ISN'T an idiotic "me too!"

X
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #177 (isolation #25) » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Post by Xaivius »

yup, still here.

My primary suspicion is on Apple at the moment for the drop hammer.

I shall clarify later
Xaivius
Xaivius
Townie
Xaivius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #186 (isolation #26) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 pm

Post by Xaivius »

well, apple, you hammered V, with little to no provocation, and you're fairly unrepentant about your scumminess.

This court finds you

GUILTY

VOTE: Apple

the defendant will immediately surrender to the court, to be held pending further trial at a higher court.

court is adjourned.

*gavel*

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”