Newbie 1238 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Sat May 12, 2012 9:54 am

Post by DylanSA »

Ah, finally :P

Hello everybody :) I am Dylan.

I've played Mafia with friends before, but having read through some games on this site, I can say that our games are nothing in comparison. The whole RVS idea is new to me too. We usually just vote no lynch with the idea that "there is no information to go by". My how wrong we were.

We also called the scum "mafia" (for obvious reasons) and the townies "civs" (short for civilians) so forgive me if I use these terms :)

A little about me:
I'm from South Africa. (Hence the SA in my username)
I learned Mafia on math camp :P
I also got a gf on math camp :P
Fire-escapes are fairly secluded if you ever want to hide/not be disturbed.
I'm going to Argentina in July, so will be on V/LA, but I'll remind the mod when I get the actual dates.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Sat May 12, 2012 10:00 am

Post by DylanSA »

With that said,
VOTE: kibbles0515 because it says "mafia scum" under his username.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Post by DylanSA »

In post 16, hero_bash wrote:
unvote

Policy lynch please put avatars so it's easier to differentiate.

:oops: Sorry.

Though I'm not the only one.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (isolation #3) » Sat May 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Post by DylanSA »

Bleugh. I messed up the quote :/
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (isolation #4) » Sat May 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Post by DylanSA »

In post 19, cjquines wrote:Ack! My spreadsheet! See what you've done?

FoS: Fallman7

I would really really like to vote you, but my policy is against that.

Is this for the "No Lynch" that he suggested?

Fallman: We have a lot of time to discuss (The day only ends 1 June). Why should we vote no lynch when we could potentially weed out scum by putting pressure on them or by observing voting patterns, reactions to being voted for etc... (At least, this is the way I understand RVS)

iDanyboy wrote:
Madman it seems you were over eager to get a vote on, so eager that you put a vote on someone who is not in the game by accident. Could it be that you are mafia who wants to get a vote on someone as soon as possible and you accidentely voted for some who is not in the game.

I can see what you are trying to say, but at this point I don't think trying to put a vote on someone is an indicator either way.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (isolation #5) » Sun May 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Post by DylanSA »

Just mentioning how I've seen it played on this site :) Also, you can unvote. Your final vote for Day 1 need not be random. But until the day ends, it is our responsibility to get as much information as possible. And if at that point we decide that someone seems very scummy, we can vote for them. But if at that point we decide that we don't have enough information to make an informed decision, then yes, no lynch is probably the best option.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (isolation #6) » Mon May 14, 2012 6:42 am

Post by DylanSA »

In post 30, cjquines wrote:
DylanSA wrote:Just mentioning how I've seen it played on this site :) Also, you can unvote. Your final vote for Day 1 need not be random. But until the day ends, it is our responsibility to get as much information as possible. And if at that point we decide that someone seems very scummy, we can vote for them. But if at that point we decide that we don't have enough information to make an informed decision, then yes,
no lynch
is probably the best option.

Note the bolded words.

DylanSA, in all of my games (which were on a different fora, but who cares?) no one thinks than an NL is a good idea unless we're playing Dethy. We have a long time, let's actually use our head and think this through.

Fallman7 wrote:Well Dylan for one you should trust me I have played mafia a lot and have almost always been on the winning side which is oddly the side of the bystanders sorry I got distracted I have bad ADD.
Well this should be interesting...

But anyway for starters random lynching is just stupid for one we could kill our town sided roles which would be extremely bad this early in the game if we lose the doc or the cop were pretty much dead in the water so how large of a chance is it that we lynch a town sided role.
As pointed by Mardigan, the chances are small.

Quite high considering this is a relatively small game so let's use our heads newbies it's so much easier to figure out who is who after someone is killed to be honest in this game experience kills so I'm likely to be killed by the mafia by the morning since I know how to play well but that's the price of playing and knowing what your doing.
You are likely to be killed either by your wine spilling, or your mathematical sense. (I can't blame you for the latter, it's usually the teacher's fault. I know.)

Also maybe if we're lucky the cop will find our man and no senceless lynchings occurred.
Cop in the game: 50% considering the game.

Trust me a lynch now is a bad idea if you don't believe me go to vizzed board go to crazy town trust me you'll find it and look at their previous games they don't lynch first and ask questions latter they stay calm and get the job done the most efficient way possible.
The purpose of a lynch is to gather info. The purpose of voting is putting pressure.

If people panic we all die that's how it goes and I don't want to die just take my advice or leave it it's up to you play smart and live or die dumb y'alls choice.
...OK, very inspiring words.

Italics are my comments.

Also, on D1, I usually spill wine, but I have no idea what that means. What's wine? (If this is an allusion to WIFOM, I'm gonna feel dumb)

Sorry, I was silly. On two counts. One for not realising that there was a second page of posts already and assuming that Fallman's post #24 was the last one. The other for not thinking through the no lynch thing. I've read through some of the games on the forum. There has never been a no lynch on day 1. It generally hasn't seemed to impact town negatively either. I tend to agree with Madmardigan.
DylanSA
DylanSA
Townie
DylanSA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (isolation #7) » Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 am

Post by DylanSA »

Meh, sorry. I don't know whom to vote for at this point: nobody is particularly telling. I promise that I'll read over the conversations carefully tomorrow afternoon after piano though. I'll change my vote after a thorough analysis. (Or later if I get back in time) I suppose that I should explain my absence, but there isn't much to say. Schools been keeping me busy with assignments, band, first aid and sending me onto a game show, and I didn't have much to contribute to the conversation. Lame excuse, I know :/

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”