Newbie #228 - The Doom of Tinytown (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:06 am

Post by MeMe »

Got it.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:25 am

Post by MeMe »

vote: ChrisV
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Post by MeMe »

I second viper's request that Flay clear up whether or not the votes
prior
to his announcement that the game has started count. I think it's rather vital information.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #36 (isolation #3) » Mon May 01, 2006 4:55 am

Post by MeMe »

Whoa. Wrong move, buddy.

That puts me at three and that makes you my new whipping boy -- let's get him up to three and see how
he
responds.

unvote: ChrisV
vote: Arvadite
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #37 (isolation #4) » Mon May 01, 2006 5:38 am

Post by MeMe »

I believe that since it's not bolded, Arvadite's vote won't count, according to the first rule in Flay's rule post.

Regardless, I believe it was Arvadite's
intent
to put a third vote on me without explanation. That's just plain reckless and deserves votes in return.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #39 (isolation #5) » Mon May 01, 2006 5:55 am

Post by MeMe »

Or really inexperienced.

But are you saying that we should we just sacrifice a random player to see who votes fourth? That's ridiculous. Or are you willing to volunteer for the job? I mean, what if the sacrificed player's the doc or cop? And why would
anyone
put the fourth vote on me now that they've been told they'd be thought of as scum for doing so? And how do you know
I'm
not scum? The fact that you assume my lyncher would be scum is rather interesting as no one other than scum knows the alignments of the other players, at this point.

Alright -- let me say it clearly: although it's hard to find scum on day one in newbie games, it doesn't mean we shouldn't
try
. That means that town should be voting the person acting most suspiciously -- not just getting day one overwith as soon as possible.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #40 (isolation #6) » Mon May 01, 2006 6:04 am

Post by MeMe »

And Arvadite -- I just saw you in this forum after I posted, but you logged off without comment. Would've been a great time to defend your vote on me.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #45 (isolation #7) » Mon May 01, 2006 6:20 am

Post by MeMe »

Arvadite -- you were the third person to vote me. It was
your
action that put me in danger. It's perfectly reasonable for me to single you out as responsible for my position.

But here's how you bold things: ["b"]bold["/b"] -- but remove the quotes. Or you could just use the buttons in "post reply" mode.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #49 (isolation #8) » Mon May 01, 2006 6:42 am

Post by MeMe »

Erotomachia wrote:You seem to be really defensive about it, though.
I believe it's the duty of every player to do their best to stay alive. Being unduly defensive is when you freak out about one vote. Being kinda defensive is when you freak out about two. Getting heated up about three in a newbie game, though, isn't
defensive
, it's dutiful play.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #79 (isolation #9) » Mon May 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Post by MeMe »

Arvadite wrote:If I was scum I would have shut up long ago because all I have done so far is dig a deeper and deeper grave. Why not question Chrisv or MeMe who are fairly active members of the board but suprisingly quiet in the thread.
This is ChrisV's first game -- so he's not a "fairly active member." :?
Arvadite wrote:If that is how it works, MeMe would still be under suspicion the same way I am because she shut up after being accused.
I wasn't accused -- I was put one away from a lynch without reason. There's a difference.

Arvadite: who SHOULD we be voting?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #108 (isolation #10) » Wed May 03, 2006 4:10 am

Post by MeMe »

ChrisV wrote:Firstly, I find it odd that after all the song and dance about not speedlynching, she's left Arvadite hanging one away from a lynch for ages.
First, I'm interested in the prejudicial use of "song and dance" here. Wonder why you feel the need to ridicule posts that make valid points about what's good for the town? Second, there's a difference between "speedlynching" and "one away from a lynch for ages" -- which I'm certain you see. Third, I have my vote on Arvadite for a reason. He had his vote on ME for no reason other than "let's get three votes somewhere."
ChrisV wrote:I know she's experienced enough not to only be concerned with self-preservation, if she's a townie.
This looks like a role fish to me. But, I'll go ahead and set you and Arvadite straight, I will always fight for my life
regardless
of role. That said, I fight harder when I'm pro-town. I've been lynched several times when scum, but I've never -- not once in almost four years of online play -- been lynched while holding a pro-town role of any kind, including townie. So your comment above is just plain false. I'm experienced enough TO be concerned with self-preservation. Why? Because I'm the only one I know for a fact is innocent and that's worth fighting for.

Even if I subscribed to the strategy that Iammars mentioned earlier (go down willingly if there's information to be gained from my death), at the point I was in danger, no concrete information could have been gained if I'd died. Newbies could easily wriggle out of their rashness with an "I didn't know it was a bad idea" (case in point: you're choosing me to vote over Arvadite, despite your admittance that you believe Arvadite is only a "few percent" from being scum). "Self preservation" is what you should EXPECT from pro-town players on day one in a newbie game -- a townie who willingly lays down is, effectively saying, "despite the fact that I'm the only one I know to be innocent, I'll make it easy on the scum today." I can barely stomach that thought.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #110 (isolation #11) » Wed May 03, 2006 7:29 am

Post by MeMe »

Comical that #3 in your list of possibilities if Arvadite isn't scum is a scenario in which he
is
scum. :o
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #130 (isolation #12) » Wed May 03, 2006 4:42 pm

Post by MeMe »

unvote: Arvadite
vote: Erotomachia

This has been something that's been boiling under the surface for a while -- but that last post puts him over Arvadite in suspicion for me.

1) He says that a fourth-vote on me would be from scum (post #38) and ignores the fact that he should be considering that I could be scum. I pointed this out to him (#39) and he didn't comment on his failure to consider that point when he responded (#47).

2) When he did respond (#47), it was to say that he was only "thinking out loud" in post 39 -- and to accuse me of getting "really defensive" despite the fact that I've explained how very valid that attitude is when being put one away from a lynch without reason and so early. He fails to comment on Arvadite's behavior OR to remove his vote from me, despite claiming that it was random.

3) Only after Arvadite's gotten up to three votes does he post anything about Arvadite's actions saying he'll "watch them both closely" (post #98 -- referencing both Arva & viper -- apparently, only deeming third votes worthy of mention when someone joins Arva in the behavior)

4) He misreads RA's post and looks rather eager to get RandomActs to explicitly say that he's naming viper and me as scum (#111). Despite the fact it's explained rather quickly that he's completely wrong, he decides not to comment on that.

5) In his last post, he completely misrepresents what I said (that I fight hard regardless of role) as me saying that I'm definitely town
because
I'm fighting hard. He calls it "hypocritical" to keep a FIRST vote on someone I thought behaved scummily -- as though that's the same thing as placing a third vote for no reason.

I think he's protecting Arvadite. That might mean they're scum together -- might not. Either way, it reflects poorly on Erotomachia.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #132 (isolation #13) » Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 pm

Post by MeMe »

Wow -- one might call that post "really defensive"...and you've only got ONE vote. That's only 33% of the votes I had when you accused
me
of being defensive -- and only 50% of the votes I
currently
have.

Also, since when is placing a first vote "starting a bandwagon"? And, as long as I'm asking you questions, could you please point to where I cautioned everyone against turning on someone (viciously or otherwise) OR starting a bandwagon? I went looking for what your accusation might be talking about and I couldn't find anything. Also, the "every time" thing is interesting. ChrisV is voting me and I haven't "started a bandwagon" or "viciously turn[ed]" on him. Also, it's rather generous of you to characterize your post (and, by implication, Arvadite's) as questioning me...I don't see a single query in yours or anything other than a vote in Arvadite's.

And I'm just giggling at your use of "vicious" as a description of my reasonable (and referenced!) post while you've pointed the words "really defensive" and "hypocritical," at me while accusing me of "hiding something," presenting a "WIFOM" case (as a result of your misinterpretation) and "let[ting] the votes pile up," despite the fact you didn't seem to have a problem with me calling for the votes in the first place (post #36). If anything it would've been hypocritical of me to have a problem with my stated wish coming
true

I don't think that any of my recaps of your posts were unfair -- though my interpretations of what they mean alignment-wise are certainly my own. If you believe I've somehow misrepresented what you've said, please help me out. From my point of view, the listing seems pretty accurate, but I'm willing to be set straight if I've gotten you completely wrong.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #135 (isolation #14) » Wed May 03, 2006 7:12 pm

Post by MeMe »

I'm guessing you simply blew off that exam? I've seen you full-time in the forum since I posted last, so...

I'll just let your post (now
, I see) sit there for others to read. I'll answer point-by-point if anyone thinks it's necessary, but it looks like desperate spin to me and makes me really happy about my choice to vote you.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #138 (isolation #15) » Wed May 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Post by MeMe »

Erotomachia wrote:Although, to be specific, I did pose two questions in post 129, which you declined to answer.
You're right about this, and I stand corrected about there not being a single query.

Although I didn't "decline to answer" as I addressed the topic in my post -- I'll gladly respond more clearly lest you think I'm unable/unwilling to do so directly.
Erotomachia wrote:You're saying that you must be town because you're very defensive, but you wouldn't be if you were scum? Isn't that just WIFOM?
1) No. I said that I defend myself regardless of role and that I work even harder to stay alive when town. Nowhere did I say that you can trust that this is an example of my most defensive work -- that's all coming from you. 2) No. You've made the statement that I expect you all to think that I "must be a townie simply because of the way [I'm] acting" and that you "don't see why we should accept your assumptions." Since I never said that or implied it, I didn't put a WIFOM argument on the table.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #139 (isolation #16) » Wed May 03, 2006 7:30 pm

Post by MeMe »

ChrisV wrote:MeMe: Any thoughts on that post of Arvadite's I quoted?
I can't find where you quoted Arvadite -- could you direct me to it?
ChrisV wrote:Your persuasion skills on Day 1 ought to be the same no matter what.
"Ought to" and "are" are two different things.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #140 (isolation #17) » Wed May 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Post by MeMe »

Oh -- I was looking for a quotebox. I found what you were talking about.

Um...I think it's inconclusive. He obviously didn't put two and two together that what he was doing was the same thing as what he earlier condemned. I've seen scum contradict themselves in this way, but I've also seen town simply believe that their actions won't look scummy because they're NOT scum. I know when I'm town, I'm always genuinely surprised that anyone thinks what I've done is scummy (and tend to think they could be scum themselves for even suggesting such a thing). That said, Arvadite has admitted that he knows what he's done was scummy -- but that could be in
retrospect

Obviously, I believed that his rush to vote me was scummy REGARDLESS of anything else he'd said. And, unlike you, I give him the edge of a few percentage points toward being mafia rather than townie. But, like I said, Eroto's my current leader of scumminess -- gotta vote for the leader.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #147 (isolation #18) » Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Post by MeMe »

Oh, man. I haven't laughed so hard in a while.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #149 (isolation #19) » Thu May 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Post by MeMe »

You can probably guess
my
thoughts about your theory.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #152 (isolation #20) » Thu May 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Post by MeMe »

#1 -- that
was
a reaction.

#2 -- what's there to defend against? You've come up with a theory because I voted you for actions you acknowledge as scummy -- and I'm paired with viper because you think he "had to wait for someone else to vote."

Here's my defense: you're wrong.

Now defend against this: I think it's more likely that you and Erotomachia are scum together than any other pair in this game. I think that Erotomachia looks to have been defending you and you are completely ignoring HIS scummy posts. Why don't you let me know what you think about the case I've put together against
him
? Why not tell me why it doesn't make sense for you two to be paired together? And, since it wouldn't be fair of you not to comment on my theory after expecting more from me, I'll expect nothing less than a thorough reply from you.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #153 (isolation #21) » Thu May 04, 2006 2:59 pm

Post by MeMe »

Everyone, with the exception of RandomActs (who hasn't been gone that long), has posted in the last 24 hours.

As for my theory: have you not read the last couple of pages?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #154 (isolation #22) » Thu May 04, 2006 3:01 pm

Post by MeMe »

(Sorry for the triple)

Clarification: first post addresses Arvadite, second addresses viper.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #156 (isolation #23) » Thu May 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Post by MeMe »

I've found myself to be overwhelmed by real-life demands and am attempting to get replacements into all of my mafia games -- Kelly Chen has agreed to take over for me here.

It was fun!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”