Newbie 955 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Hoopla wrote:HELLO MY NEWBIES

Vote: RayFrost
Hi hoopla! Nice to be in a game with you as a lone player this time around. :wink:

Anyway, I'd say something, but I forgot what it was, so instead, I'll
Vote: sailorpallas

Oh, and hi kingcod~
don't you feel silly now?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (isolation #1) » Wed May 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Post by RayFrost »

LobsterCatapult wrote:
vote: adaham

no ones mentioned him yet!
^--- scum trying to make sure everybody gets attention so that he doesn't have to be suspicious

unvote, vote: lobstercatapult
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (isolation #2) » Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by RayFrost »

AdumbroDeus wrote:
RayFrost wrote:Hi hoopla! Nice to be in a game with you as a lone player this time around. :wink:

What do you mean by lone player?
Ever heard of hydras?

They are where multiple people use a single account and play as a single role.

For example, I could make an account named xxabeiab and use it in games and share the password and account with hoopla or some other person on MS, meaning that both of us post from the account and play the role given to the account.

Well, I have played in the same game as hoopla in a hydra, but, as far as I'm aware, have not played in the same game as hoopla outside of that.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (isolation #3) » Wed May 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Current votesRayFrost (2) AdumbroDeus, Hoopla
AdumbroDeus (1) kingcod
kingcod (1) Adaham
Adaham (1) LobsterCatapult
LobsterCatapult (1) RayFrost
Valkyrie (1) MrSandman
(No vote) sailorpallas, Valkyrie
9 alive; 5 votes lynch.

Clearly an alt. Beware!
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (isolation #4) » Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Now hoopla, don't go spreading lies about me... I may
think
know cats are the spawn of demon creatures that live inside our blood, but I'm way too smart to throw
rocks
at them. That'd only make them eat me. You should clearly use a laser beam to fry them. Do you know nothing? Or maybe you are an agent of their chaos!?

Anyway, interrupting hoopla's interrogation of sandman to ask a question of the utmost importance that will determine the fate of the galaxy.
MrSandman wrote:
No, I'm only upset with Valkyrie. I was just teasing though.
Why are you upset with valkyrie? If you are upset with valkyrie (and that is why you voted valkyrie), how is your vote 'just teasing?'
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #5) » Wed May 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Hoopla is female, last I checked.

Also, what about me? :(
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (isolation #6) » Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 am

Post by RayFrost »

MrSandman wrote:
RayFrost wrote:Now hoopla, don't go spreading lies about me... I may
think
know cats are the spawn of demon creatures that live inside our blood, but I'm way too smart to throw
rocks
at them. That'd only make them eat me. You should clearly use a laser beam to fry them. Do you know nothing? Or maybe you are an agent of their chaos!?

Anyway, interrupting hoopla's interrogation of sandman to ask a question of the utmost importance that will determine the fate of the galaxy.
MrSandman wrote:
No,
I'm only upset with Valkyrie.
I was just teasing though.
Why are you upset with valkyrie? If you are upset with valkyrie (and that is why you voted valkyrie), how is your vote 'just teasing?'
He just sent me a PM the day I joined.
Not upset.
Vote: MrSandman
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (isolation #7) » Thu May 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Post by RayFrost »

MrSandman wrote:
Hoopla wrote:Someone explain to me why Valkyrie has three votes? The universe doesn't make sense.
Care to explain to the newbies on why this is a problem my inexperienced challenged comrade?

I suppose you're right though,
Unvote
. Too early for L - 2.
lol

This, my dear townies, is an example of scum bowing out of a vote for little reasoning as soon as he's questioned about the why of his vote.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (isolation #8) » Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Valkyrie wrote:
MrSandman wrote:
The Mafiascum wiki is a great place to learn the abbreviations and terms.

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Thanks. :)

I think Adaham's sentiments make me most suspicious of AdumbroDeus, though I haven't gotten enough suspicion about anyone in particular to commit to a vote just yet.
Do you have any 'sentiments' of your own to share?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #114 (isolation #9) » Sun May 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Hoopla wrote:At the moment I have town reads on LobsterCatapault, RayFrost and Valkyrie.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scum is lurking in this group of players; AdumbroDeus, Sandman, Adaham, kingcod, sailorpallas.
Not really in agreement with this.

I feel that valkyrie has failed to provide enough to be a town read.

I agree about LC.

I have generally null reads on the rest of the players except sandman (slightly scummy) and adaham (somewhere between 'no idea' and 'leaning town' but not quite either)
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #115 (isolation #10) » Sun May 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Valkyrie wrote:Actually, it has nothing to do with my connection if you guys have been paying attention to the site issues:
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=225

A lot of people are experiencing slowdown and I have a cable connection.

Anyway, I'm almost caught up reading. :)

I agree with the priorities on lynching weak and inactive players IN GENERAL, but this being a Newbie game wouldn't there be more of a heightened risk of those people just being innocent townies? :( I mean, newbies (perhaps such as myself) tend to be inactive and weak.
Hardly an excuse. It isn't slow all the time, so you really should've finished by now. How about, instead of making these posts, you catch up and give some content?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #118 (isolation #11) » Mon May 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Valkyrie wrote: Ouch, are you scum or just a rude douchebag? This is a newbie game, not your mother's BBQ. Chill out. The internets are not serious business.

Besides, I added content, I'm not sure what else to say really, it's Day 1. I don't think lynching weak or inactive players is effective in a Newbie Game, they're generally just...Newbies.
'tis hardly rude to tell somebody to post content. Besides, who said the internet was serious business? Outside of that, I am of the belief that going easy on newbies is hardly constructive to their growth. It would also be going against the rules of the game (play to win).

Anyway, that's hardly much of anything that you've given as content.

So far, you've not really stated any of
your
opinions on who is scum, which is rather important for, y'know, getting reads on people and finding scum.

That said...

Hoopla:

Why do you believe valkyrie is town?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #126 (isolation #12) » Wed May 19, 2010 1:53 am

Post by RayFrost »

Suspects:

everybody, but mostly sandman / valkyrie / kingcod

people I'd be willing to lynch:

Nobody. I don't have enough info to work with.

people I'd be willing to lynch if deadline were now:

everybody.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #137 (isolation #13) » Wed May 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Well, I can say why I haven't commented on your position.

I don't find it to be relevant to actual scumhunting. Your willingness to lynch 'weak' players as stated is based off of your
ideas
about who scum are
in general
. It doesn't pertain to your alignment
in this game
, making it unimportant.

My general lack of high activity is due in part by my not having replaced. For some reason, replacing puts more fire in my gut.

The other bit is I haven't read through the entire thread in a single go, meaning my thoughts are disconnected.

I'll kinda maybe possibly read through the thread and make a Wall of Text (WoT for short) from my observations, but no guarantees.

Anyway, adaham, what do you mean by 'rayfrost is looking in from the inside' in your list of suspects?

oh, and my votes early on were 2. bandwagon pressure vote yay and 1. oi, explain this vote.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #151 (isolation #14) » Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Post by RayFrost »

redtail896 wrote:@RayFrost You claim that your MrSandman vote was a bandwagon pressure vote. Does it still serve that purpose? Are you willing to lynch MrSandman?
Well, pressure votes fail once you admit what they are. So it doesn't. I'm not willing to lynch sandman, but I currently have no better place for my vote, so I see no reason to unvote. He's not close to a lynch, so yeah.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #182 (isolation #15) » Fri May 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Post by RayFrost »

yeaaaahhh, responding to a prod, I'll post later today, sorry for the lack of any posting lately, been feeling a lack of energycombined with a distracting quantity of pain which doesn't do well for focusing on anything
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #184 (isolation #16) » Fri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Post by RayFrost »

kingcod wrote:
Hoopla wrote:All Day 1 really is, is providing enough information to help us hit scum tomorrow
Hoopla plays down the significance of day one - lynch a townie? no biggie - plenty more where they came from.

This is a nice scum tactic - carry on with the 'less is more' approach and before we know it town is outnumbered or at best a 50/50 chance of losing by a misplaced vote. Remember - scum knows who we are. We don't know who are scum.
Difference of opinion, not a scumtell. Actually, you don't even argue with hoopla's point. Her point was that
day one is for providing information
while your counter argument was
sacrificing townies is bad
. Both are correct, neither contradict.
codking wrote:
Hoopla wrote:It isn't scummy to want a quicker, sharper game
.. or it is. Newbie games are paced slower to allow town to have a better chance to get it right.
Actually... 3 week deadlines are considered more of a 'standard' from what I've seen. Enough time to give people good convos while short enough to prevent huge replace outs (heh, not working for the latter...). In a game with a lot of content,
there is typically a lynch long before deadline
. This doesn't mean it is necessarily good, but it does show that waiting for deadline is unnecessary sometimes. It's not scummy to want a game in which content is produced and a decision is made, which is what you'd be arguing here. You don't actually make a case as to why what hoopla said is scummy, by the way. You just say 'this could be scummy, omfg!' (to put it in simple terms)
cody wrote:
Hoopla wrote:Conciseness is a pro-town quality
Just as easily it can be a scum tactic. If Hoopla really was so knowledgeable about the game she should remind us that brevity is also a way for scum to hide.
Ummm... wrong. There is a difference between being concise and not saying anything. A concise person will have a high quantity of content in their posts even if they are short. A 'scum tactic' like what you are saying is where scum
do not say very much
, in which case there is low content.
kingler wrote:
Hoopla wrote:I've done a lot of data-mining in the Mini Normal forum. I've catalogued 300+ games
"Trust me I'm an expert" This adds to the veneer of respectablility built up from earlier posts.

Hoopla is a good candidate for a day one lynch because:

1. She spends a lot of time grooming an image of trusted town
2. She has kept a vote on Sandman made on page one that most players have agreed is bunkum.
3. She wants to limit scum hunting through proper discourse in a newbie game with the fallacious opinion that less is more.

vote Hoopla
eeehhh, weak point about the 'veneer of respectability, could just as easily be saying she's got data without any reference to whether we should trust it.

point 1. you haven't actually shown how this is true

2. 'most' does not mean hoopla feels the same. Appeal to majority is noted.

3. It's not fallacious. Concision is pro-town, even if lack of content is scummy. The two are not the same.

vote has no real basis, this is merely ridin' coattails.

Now, having done that, I'll read through the thread and post all of my thoughts.

I just needed to get this out of the way first.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #185 (isolation #17) » Sat May 29, 2010 12:41 am

Post by RayFrost »

bah, got interrupted in the middle of reading by a looooong disconnection... >.< gotta start over.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”