Newbie Game 720 -- Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:46 am

Post by magisterrain »

/confirm
popsofctown: which makes me notice you have no sig. get one. you could do a quote.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:43 pm

Post by magisterrain »

i
vote t-rex
, cuz a king is never welcome in Rome! (or on the road there). hehe
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Post by magisterrain »

interesting feeling, penguin

personally i'd like to actually hear something from vamp first

especially now that he's already got 2 votes
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:53 am

Post by magisterrain »

if we knew that, there wouldn't be much point to the game, now would there?

at any rate, im really anxious to hear something from vamp due to his silence so far.

also, i will be out of town tonight through monday, so i might not get a chance to post in that time.
popsofctown: which makes me notice you have no sig. get one. you could do a quote.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Post by magisterrain »

well, as for me i'm just waiting for the scum to crack and give us some clues to his/her identity
we'll all be dead (lynched or otherwise) rather quickly if we act too much on our gut feelings
though i do know the feeling well penguin
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (isolation #5) » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Post by magisterrain »

no not at all. i merely said his 'feeling' was interesting
and by saying i am 'waiting for the scum to crack' I didn't mean wait silently without investigating, discussing, and questioning each other

unfortunately, it looks like it will be somewhat slow going for the next two weeks b/c of the holidays

oh, and I now
Unvote
, thereby signifying my desire to move away from the random voting stage
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 am

Post by magisterrain »

wait, wait, wait
vamp, why do you think ahzrei could be scum?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (isolation #7) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:51 am

Post by magisterrain »

Vamparific wrote:1st the OMGUS thing, and the tlaking about the other game could be a distraction from suspision,but its not much to go on so i didnt vote them.
hm. the OMGUS vote was random as far as i can tell. its at the top of pg 2
so basically, thats not sufficient reason to be suspicious of azhrei

long shanks was also involved in the discussion of the other game, so why couldnt he arouse your suspicion? and anyway, there was no suspicion for them to be distracting others from at that point.

your comments about possibly making a mistake in the future are extremely sketchy. for now
FOVampS

ill come back with more later
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:52 am

Post by magisterrain »

EBWOP: FOS Vamp
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:48 pm

Post by magisterrain »

well, everyone's first vote was random, and i think thats what penguin was saying when he referenced his 'real' vote. this doesn't make insanepenguin suspicious to me at all. im also not really that suspicious of benmage however because of his professed status as a newbie to this particular format. (that could be a lie..but no way to tell really so i'll just assume it isn't for the time being)

but vamp.
wow
after already arousing my suspicions you immediately agree with benmage and then actually vote insanepenguin? any reasons for this? if so, you should enumerate them immediately. even so, this move to me is really, REALLY scummy, therefore I
vote vamparific

id really like to hear everyone else's reaction this as well
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (isolation #10) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Post by magisterrain »

why does it seem like you want to be lynched?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (isolation #11) » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:56 am

Post by magisterrain »

eh, i count 5 vamp

anyway, that lynch happened way too fast for my liking
true, i cast the first vote, but i think a bit of deliberation is important before the hammer is dealt
votes 4 and 5 are looking kinda scummy to me
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (isolation #12) » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:24 am

Post by magisterrain »

sorry penguin i didn't even realize you were vote number 4

my point was just that the 4th vote kind of gave the scum an easy hammer.
however you are right that you enumerated your reasons for voting him in a reasonable and logical manner.
vote 5 is much more scummy in my opinion. and since that vote is from benmage its even more suspicious, though at the same time possibly a newbie mistake (im not so sure i believe this anymore though)

is vamp telling the truth?
hey mod, come help please!
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (isolation #13) » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 am

Post by magisterrain »

well, by benmage's own admission, he's not really a newbie

also, benmage, you say you would've looked bad if you had not voted for vamp because of one player's very slight suspicion of you two being a pair. so why not try to dispell the notion that you were a pair? one looks MUCH scummier by dropping a quick hammer on a townie in order to avoid suspicion than by making an attempt to deny partnership with a suspected scum.

i think it is obvious benmage is trying to hide something. what does everyone else think?
fos benmage
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (isolation #14) » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:40 am

Post by magisterrain »

Benmage wrote:Your right i did act hastily, my fault.. i guess i feared the association, and the fact that there was only one vote left.

In hindsight now it was a bad decision.. had vamp been scum.. well
whoa, whoa, whoa. what do you think i am, a priest? you apologize for something and i just forgive you and move on? this is such an obvious overreach to appear 'good' and 'innocent' that i find it highly scummy.

and what do you mean by 'the fact that there was only one vote left' ? do you mean you feared this? if so, what do you mean by that? do you mean that you were afraid someone else would hammer and you would be left voteless? how does that make you suspicious, since there are many others playing? only a guilty player would be so paranoid to think that no vote would lead others to suspect him of something

obvious scum.
vote benmage
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (isolation #15) » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Post by magisterrain »

penguin, the reason i went ahead and voted benmage is because he came back with even more suspicious and specious claims after i pointed a suspicious finger at him. even now, he's repeating the same old tired arguments. ive yet to get a good reason from him for why he hammered; in fact i dont think there is one. he is scum and he saw an opportunity to get rid of a townie and jumped at it.

of course, i could be wrong, as i was with vamp. since only the 3 of us are even really playing right now, i dont think it hurts to actually vote for benmage. if a wagon starts forming and benmage comes up with some good reasons for his actions or points out someone else who is scummier, i will probably unvote. plenty of time to do so.

BUT...how does he know there are 2 mafia? i thought this game was open and therefore we don't actually know how many people are mafia?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Post by magisterrain »

oops, my bad. im playing in a couple other games where the setup is different and you don't know for sure how many mafia there are
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (isolation #17) » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Post by magisterrain »

well i made a mistake with vamp. and benmage acted too quickly for me to reevaluate my position, which, in turn, is why i started getting suspicious of him

like ive said before, im perfectly willing to take my vote off benmage as soon as i hear from ANYONE else in this game. at the moment, the game is just between us three so thats who my vote is on.

plus, i dont really know how the first person to vote someone can be said to start a bandwagon. i gave my reasons for voting vamp and the 2nd and 3rd and 4th votes are the ones that made it a wagon

by the way, who put vamp at L-1?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (isolation #18) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:41 am

Post by magisterrain »

ok, so in post 99 you give your reasons for having voted vamp. all i was saying is that your vote nevertheless put him at L-1.
i don't understand how you can accuse me of anything worse than what you did just because i placed the first vote on someone.
and benmage DID act quickly by hammering vamp right after that.
and then acting very suspicious afterward in trying to justify his vote.

seriously, theres no danger of benmage getting lynched right now. i have a vote on him because he has not sufficiently defended himself in my eyes. as soon as he does, i will reevaluate my vote.

MOD: can we have some of the other players here prodded?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #19) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 am

Post by magisterrain »

[/b]@mod
:
my bad, i forgot this game had been locked and i guess im just getting impatient

penguin, i think we are just pretty much at an impasse at the moment until more people return

while consistently voting first on people may indeed be scummy, thats inconclusive until we know who is scum or not.

i misread vamp.

i don't think i'm misreading benmage, but i am wary now that i could be.

magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (isolation #20) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:56 am

Post by magisterrain »

gotcha. and whoops with the bold!
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (isolation #21) » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:28 pm

Post by magisterrain »

thanks for bringing that up about penguin, charrat. not sure if it means anything, but id forgotten hed even said it.

re: benmage, he hasnt provided much for us to use to build a case against him other than exactly what you brought up
he seemed way too opportunistic first, then way too paranoid
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (isolation #22) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 am

Post by magisterrain »

T-Rex wrote: I think he should change how he's acting in order to benefit the town, but I don't think his previous actions warrant a vote.

if someone isn't helping the town, who are the helping? and do we want to keep them around if they aren't helping the town?
while consistently voting first on people may indeed be scummy, thats inconclusive until we know who is scum or not.
Not quite sure what you meant by this. Some clarification please?
well, if a scum were voting for people first every time, it would later turn out to be true that his actions were scummy regardless of whether those he was voting for are scummy

if a townie were voting for people first every time, it obviously couldn't be scummy for him/her to be doing so since he/she is not scum

all im really saying here is you can't tell whether someone is scummy or simply erring in judgment when they cast a first vote on someone until the end of the game. but thats kind of the fun of mafia...trying to figure out whether someone is acting because of certain motives and whether they are doing it well or not

anyway, t-rex, any ideas on who is scum?
[/i]
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #150 (isolation #23) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 am

Post by magisterrain »

EBWOP: wow, i really messed up that quote box

these are my words in the above post (not t-rex's)
if someone isn't helping the town, who are the helping? and do we want to keep them around if they aren't helping the town?

well, if a scum were voting for people first every time, it would later turn out to be true that his actions were scummy regardless of whether those he was voting for are scummy

if a townie were voting for people first every time, it obviously couldn't be scummy for him/her to be doing so since he/she is not scum

all im really saying here is you can't tell whether someone is scummy or simply erring in judgment when they cast a first vote on someone until the end of the game. but thats kind of the fun of mafia...trying to figure out whether someone is acting because of certain motives and whether they are doing it well or not

anyway, t-rex, any ideas on who is scum?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (isolation #24) » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Post by magisterrain »

seriously, lets get this game going. its been my most enjoyable game so far, so i hope people aren't abandoning it.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #164 (isolation #25) » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Post by magisterrain »

really penguin? can you explain why?

as for me, im going to stick with benmage. given this is a newbie game, i think benmage made a serious newbscum mistake with his reckless hammer. he also has not provided any serious analysis.

and truthfully, theres not much to go on in this game. benmage's is certainly the biggest tell.

c'mon qwints! i wanna hear what you have to say
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #167 (isolation #26) » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Post by magisterrain »

fair enough i suppose. though im just not certain i understand why my actions are scummier than anyone else's.
placing the first vote on someone in day 1 is entirely different than placing the first vote on someone in day 2.

but oh well.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (isolation #27) » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:44 am

Post by magisterrain »

yeah, im just bored
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (isolation #28) » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:30 am

Post by magisterrain »

Charrat wrote:Does anyone have any theories as to why LongShanks was killed last night? He did not get many posts in before the day ended, and other than a small disagreement with Ben, he did not discuss much with anyone. Maybe he was just a random pick, or maybe he was chosen because he was one of the few players not to vote to lynch Vamp, making him look more townish?

I am going to re-ask the questions I posted on Day 1, give people a chance to answer who didn't, and see who changed their answers and why.

1. At this moment, are there any players that you believe are town? If so, why?
2. At this moment, are there any players that you suspect are mafia? If so, why?.
3. How would you choose who to lynch today if you do not yet have any suspicions of who may be mafia?
4. Would you consider vote for no-lynching today? Why or why not?
As for why Longshanks was killed and the fact that his main post was a slight disagreement with ben, this is another indicator, albeit slight, that ben is newbscum.

To answer your questions Charrat:
1. I have not really heard enough from many people to convince me that they are town. Charrat and Penguin both at least seem to be acting in the town's favor at the moment by encouraging discussion.
2. The scummiest player to me so far is Ben. I have stated my case on him in other posts.
3. I have to say that in the absence of major scumtells, the best lynch would probably be that of someone who is inactive or the least pro-town. I'm willing to give people some time to become more active given the holidays.
4. I'm a little wary of a no lynch, since our chances of catching scum today are slightly better than yesterday (since we lost a townie) However, I also don't want to lose another townie due to a mislynch since the mafia would then have a decided advantage. Our best option would be to prolong this day longer than day 1 to get more information out there before deciding one way or the other.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (isolation #29) » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by magisterrain »

Azhrei wrote: 1. Nope, except maybe penguin, cos he seems to want to help.

2. Maybe benmage or magis, for the reasons earlier stated, but im not sure.
so you're just gonna rely on other people to make the cases against
scum?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #187 (isolation #30) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:54 am

Post by magisterrain »

qwints wrote:
3. Can you say OMGUS? You're voting me for voting the person you did? Obviously you believed vamp was scum, right?
what this tells me is that obviously he knew vamp WASNT scum

my vote stands
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #191 (isolation #31) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:59 am

Post by magisterrain »

WHAT is your case against me benmage?

that I'm 'jumping' to ridiculous conclusions?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #192 (isolation #32) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by magisterrain »

oops. didnt mean to submit yet.
how have i jumped to conclusions? if i was jumping to conclusions i would be voting other people and switching my vote impulsively from one person who is voting me to another who is voting me. sound familiar?
i have built a case against you. i'm not jumping to any conclusions. YOU are saying things that make little sense.

meanwhile, it does no good to tell us the game we are playing isnt quite good enough for you.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #194 (isolation #33) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Post by magisterrain »

Benmage wrote:The game isn't bad, if thats what i sounded like that was not what i meant. Your all playing fine..props to Yaw for modding, i just expected things to occur a little differently, no biggie. I said I'm willing to give it another go for sure. (thats really neither here nor there, we're still playing this game ;).)

And the jump to radical conclusions:
1. You sprung on Vamp, for agreeing with a statement I made, voting for him/convincing enough to follow..didn't turn out well.

2. You jumped on the idea that I was somehow apologizing to you, and you somehow claimed to be a priest or did something weird, i'm still somewhat lost with that post, but anyways you jumped at me being scum.

3. Well kinda goes with two as you're really not providing any substantial information or building any case other than what everyone else as already agreed upon.. hammer dropping ect ect.. And some how you
jumped
to the conclusion that I obviously knew vamp wasnt scum off a statement of little substance by qwints.
haha. the priest thing was just a joke. you said 'my fault' in a way that seemed to be equivalent to 'im sorry' so i tried to make a joke.

i didn't 'jump' i gave reasons

i was the FIRST to provide substantial information against you.
everyone else is agreeing with me because you havent provided a good rebuttal yet.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #206 (isolation #34) » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:50 am

Post by magisterrain »

well. here goes.
i don't know if this is the best strategy, but thats why im in the newb forum!

i'm a cop. i investigated benmage on night one and he turned up scum. ( i dont know if he is goon or roleblocker however.) he made it pretty obvious anyway giving me a window in which to pursue him somewhat doggedly.

so, we either have a setup with a cop and a doctor or with just a cop. if there's no doctor, im dead at night and it will be 4-1 townies tomorrow and you have plenty of info from which to pick i think.
if there is a doctor, please try to save me. the roleblocker (if benmage is just a goon) can only block one of us. either i will live without a tell and we will be up 5-1 or the doctor won't be able to save me and i will probably die and we will be at 4-1. 4-1 is our WORST outcome.

hammer benmage and sorry if you dont agree with this move, but im pretty sure it will work.

lets hope there's a doctor and that benmage is a roleblocker, then we would be up 5-1 WITH another investigation result.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #208 (isolation #35) » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Post by magisterrain »

if
there is a doctor, it is imperative that you not reveal your identity. this will force the roleblocker(if it is not benmage) to either lynch or roleblock me in which case the doctor should protect me and we will at the very least have a 5-1 advantage and at the best also have an investigation.
if theres not doctor, then things wont go quite as well.
so i guess we'll see.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (isolation #36) » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Post by magisterrain »

yes, qwints, i was aware that this wasn't the optimal move. however i decided to take a chance, not from inactivity, but rather as kind of an experiment/learning experience.

its 50/50 that bm is the roleblocker, which would be awesome.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (isolation #37) » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by magisterrain »

bah, just when this game was getting interesting everything had to disappear!
well, I'm back. I'd also like to hear from charrat and t-rex.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #221 (isolation #38) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Post by magisterrain »

i wonder if t-rex is even coming back.
everyone else has posted though, so let's get this thing going!

benmage is obvs flustered. what do you think of his reaction so far charrat qwints and azhrei?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #222 (isolation #39) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Post by magisterrain »

EBWOP: that question should be directed at qwints and charrat, not azhrei
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (isolation #40) » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by magisterrain »

i investigated t-rex and didn't get a result.
i dont know if that means he's innocent or if i got roleblocked however.
is there a doctor? if there is there's a roleblocker. otherwise im pretty sure trex is innocent and there's no doctor.

i think i would have been told he was innocent though, so i think i was roleblocked. they tried to go after the doctor and missed. the doctor protected me probably, but it didnt really matter. id really like to hear from t-rex's replacement right now
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #233 (isolation #41) » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Post by magisterrain »

i was leaning hard towards him too, which is why i investigated. waiting on jayfin...
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (isolation #42) » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Post by magisterrain »

ah. azhrei vs. jayfin.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #242 (isolation #43) » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Post by magisterrain »

well, jayfin, i applaud your effort to at least appear to be scumhunting. i can somewhat see your argument against azhrei as well. i also can understand charrats argument against you. although you might wish to distance yourself from t-rex's bevior, you have his role, so his play may very well be a good indication of what role you have. you would almost have to try to overcompensate for his play to avoid suspicion. and you are.

the problem i see with your argument is simply that azhrei is much more inexperienced than you and could simply have not thought through his actions earlier in the game. he might not have known how to stop a lynch, or even that it would occur as fast as it did. he also may not have been all that willing to bus his partner. that is, unless he is less naive about mafia than he has led us to believe.

i'd like to see azhrei's reply to this post and jayfins last post before i comment any further.

as of now, i am pretty sure either azhrei or jayfin is scum. of course, i could be dead wrong.

as somewhat of an aside, is there any way to win if we all claim? we could lynch the wrong person and then lose someone during the night, but we would still be 2-1 the next day, right? and then people should be able to figure out from incorrect counter claims whos who?

kinda risky though, so i do NOT think we should claim at the moment. just wondering what others think.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #254 (isolation #44) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:40 am

Post by magisterrain »

dont worry, im definitely not ready to hammer.

the interesting thing about jayfin is he immediately found someone(azhrei) to attack upon entering the game. im not really sure why a townie would do this other than if they were reasonably certain from posts made by the person they were attacking that that person was mafia. while azhrei's posts could be construed as being scummy they dont really scream mafia to me. a mafiate on the other hand would have every motive and motivation to come out swinging in order to take out a townie

everyone answered what they should have concerning the doctor claim. i was hoping to maybe get a scumtell that way.

still stuck..
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #257 (isolation #45) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 am

Post by magisterrain »

i dont see how this is stupid. you yourself said 'what else was i supposed to do?'

im not trying to prescribe a formula, as i was talking about the circumstances of this particular game ..you came in with people all looking your way so
if you are mafia you would have to accuse someone right off the bat in order to appear pro town and try to divert attention away from you.

if you are town, you wouldn't necessarily have to do this. all you would have to do is provide proof that you have been reading the game and provide some analysis and someone who has aroused your suspicion. you wouldn't have to vote anyone. i suppose you could and it would not be scummy necessarily however.

my point was that it is much more pressing in this situation for a mafiate to exonerate himself than it is for a townie. if the mafiate does not remove guilt from his person and transfer it to another, he dies and he loses. if a townie doesnt, he might die, but he doesnt necessarily lose.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (isolation #46) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by magisterrain »

well, jayfin has claimed so would you like to claim azhrei?

after looking at trex's posts, i actually dont see much their that indicates he is scum. he did defend benmage, but only slightly. theres just too little there to use it to lynch jayfin.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #264 (isolation #47) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Post by magisterrain »

so if you and jayfin are both to be believed charrat or insanepenguin is mafia. i have to say i dont see penguin being mafia. charrat, maybe.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #271 (isolation #48) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Post by magisterrain »

first of all, penguin, i completely understand your second-guessing my claim. there is no way for me to absolutely prove that i am the cop.

second of all, i am now almost absolutely certain either azhrei or jayfin is mafia.

i am the cop. penguin makes it pretty clear he is vanilla townie. therefore one of the remaining three players is a doctor. deduce the rest for yourselves...

as i can see now, an experienced mafiate would have blocked the doc (who would have been protecting me) and then killed me. this didnt happen so i tend to believe the mafia is not the experienced one.

jayfin does happen to be more experienced than the rest of us.
he could still not be the best mafia player, but...
im gonna
vote: azhrei
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (isolation #49) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by magisterrain »

oh yikes...so insane isnt necessarily vanilla
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #276 (isolation #50) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:28 am

Post by magisterrain »

insanepenguin02 wrote:
If we stick with the set up we are thinking, we have a doctor, cop, and roleblocker left. Why wouldn't the role-blocker have roleblocked one of the other townies and put the hit on mag, so that he could possibly block the doctor and kill the cop?

Thoughts?
this confused me and i didnt think it through.

as charrat explained, the mafia wouldnt be very sure who the doctor was so it would be better to roleblock the cop and get a sure kill by targeting someone else. thus my reasoning earlier which led to a vote on azhrei wasnt very good. in fact, as charrat also explained, why wouldnt azhrei have hammered if he was mafia?
unvote azhrei

im still not sure that not getting a result means that i was roleblocked, but thats what jayfin seemd to be certain of when he said that 'it should be obvious what setup we are in'

it does seem i wouldve just been told trex was innocent if i hadnt been roleblocked. so it does seem pretty likely we have a doctor and roleblocker.

in that case, out of those who claimed town, one is lying because there should only be two vanilla townies remaining. this is why i said insane penguin wasnt necessarily vanilla, b/c there also has to be a doctor out there.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #280 (isolation #51) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Post by magisterrain »

as far as lying goes, i suddenly have a bad feeling about jayfin's claim. he claimed unprovoked and before everyone else. then everyone else claimed vanilla. theres really no way to tell who is lying other than to look at their other posts.

i still think jayfin came out with his accusations against azhrei a little too hastily. i dont really see azhrei as being scummy anymore either.

i think im just gonna go out on a limb here and
vote jayfin

i guess im willing to take my chances with Lynch or lose on day 4

eh : /
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #284 (isolation #52) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by magisterrain »

i must admit i am a little bit flustered by this game, so sorry if i'm not coming to the right conclusions. indeed the mafia probably wouldn't hammer, but surely neither would a townie. thus it is a null tell that azhrei didnt hammer, but it doesnt completely exonerate him.

also, yes i am the cop and thank you for showing why that is obvious jayfin, but it would be most obvious to the mafia who blocked me.
with that said, i dont know why penguin would only now start to doubt my claim if he had blocked me night 2. unfortunately, jayfin, i thinking you are simply trying to place doubt in our minds because you are a good mafia(the game) player. i'm gonna stick with my vote.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #286 (isolation #53) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Post by magisterrain »

from what azhrei and penguin are saying, to me it seems both are town. they are justifiably skeptical of everyone. i have no way to prove i am the cop other than to say it would be pretty bold to come out and claim and bus my supposed partner on day 2. and im just not
that
bold.

azhrei, i agree with you that the roleblocker would be more certain that my claim is true than anyone else.

the only one who hasnt really said enough recently is charrat, so id like to hear what he has to say about this page.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #287 (isolation #54) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Post by magisterrain »

Benmage wrote:a cop investigated me..twas doomed.. gg all
i think this, in the context of all of benmage's comments, is strong evidence i am telling the truth.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #294 (isolation #55) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 am

Post by magisterrain »

magisterrain wrote:
Benmage wrote:
a cop investigated me..twas doomed.. gg all

i think this,
in the context of all of benmage's comments
, is strong evidence i am telling the truth.

Azhrei is right, this post means nothing. If Benmage was your scum partner (which I don't think he was), he would have known YOU were mafia, and if you had like planned this out the night before or something, he would have known to play along

i dont think it means nothing. read all of benmage's posts day 2. it does not seem to me like benmage is 'playing along' .
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #295 (isolation #56) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 am

Post by magisterrain »

jayfin3 wrote:
magisterrain wrote: also, yes i am the cop and thank you for showing why that is obvious jayfin, but it would be most obvious to the mafia who blocked me.
So...what? This is why you are voting me? That makes no sense.
just because i say thank you doesnt mean i think you are innocent. and no, this isn't the only reason i am voting you
jayfin3 wrote:
with that said, i dont know why penguin would only now start to doubt my claim if he had blocked me night 2. unfortunately, jayfin, i thinking you are simply trying to place doubt in our minds because you are a good mafia(the game) player. i'm gonna stick with my vote.
Listen, it's not in the best interest of the mafia to believe the claimed cop wholeheartedly, even if they alone KNOW the setup we are in. Mafia does not want a "clear" player that people will be aware of, they do not want someone who is allowed to hammer/lead without suspicion, etc. I would
not
want you to be clear if I was mafia. If I was mafia, I would also be doing my best to make you look a little suspicious, or at least keep you on the page of suspicions. Yet I don't believe you are mafia.

my point was only that penguin seemed to be casting suspicion a little late, as if he were really just confused and deciding to start from scratch and suspect everyone.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #296 (isolation #57) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:38 am

Post by magisterrain »

as far as mafia not wanting a 'clear' player, noone doubted my claim at first on day 2. then people slowly began doing so. now you, jayfin, come out and say why it would be beneficial for a mafia not to want me to be in the clear, while saying, basically, that you dont suspect me.

you are creating a motive for the mafia that fits with other peoples behavior in order to cause us to suspect people other than yourself.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (isolation #58) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Post by magisterrain »

you cant just ignore benmage completely though, as he was part of the game.
anyway, i maintain that it wouldve made little strategic sense to come out against benmage on day 2 if i was scum.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #306 (isolation #59) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:51 am

Post by magisterrain »

no matter what happens, if we dont get a correct lynch today, we will be at lylo tomorrow.

if we get a doc claim, we might be better able to catch the scum before night.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #308 (isolation #60) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Post by magisterrain »

that was before everyone claimed vanilla, and therefore someone lied.

at this point if the doc claimed, there would be discussion about why he lied originally.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #311 (isolation #61) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Post by magisterrain »

wait...a doc claim wouldnt be as bad as everyone is saying, i dont think.

if doc doesnt claim and protects me, it doesnt matter b/c i am most likely going to be roleblocked while the mafia goes after someone else.
if doc does claim, the mafia could kill him directly, and still roleblock me. it wouldnt really be any different.
the only advantage we have in keeping the doctor hidden is that the mafia would probably assume he is going to protect the cop and thus the mafia wouldnt kill the cop, when in fact the doc could try to protect whomever he thinks the mafia is going to kill, including himself. the doc would only have a 1/3 chance of protecting the right person though.
there really is little difference between the doc claiming and not claiming
at this point

also, as it stands someone is lying. a doc claim and a mafia cc would (or a mafia fake claim and a doc cc) actually allow us to narrow our suspects down to 2 . we can then compare the original lies of those people, try to tell which one of them is still lying,etc. if we lynch the doc, then we come back tomorrow and lynch the other.

so, if doc is claiming, we must decide that he should claim first. once we decide, the real doc must claim immediately in order for this to work.
but it should work.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #314 (isolation #62) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Post by magisterrain »

jayfin3 wrote:
insanepenguin02 wrote:
And keep in mind, if you are NOT mafia, once you hammer me, you will almost certainly be lynched tomorrow because of this behavior. So if you are just some stupid townie and you hammer this, you will have lost the game for us.
i kind of agreed with you up to here. insanepenguin's move certainly looks kinda scummy. however then you start acting like you know penguin is in fact town by trying to scare him from doing anything. if you actually suspect penguin is scum and that he will be lynched tomorrow if he hammers you, why would you even bring this fact up to him? wouldnt it be better to let the town bring this up tomorrow after they see he has mislynched you? him?
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #315 (isolation #63) » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Post by magisterrain »

ebwop: ignore that last "him?"
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (isolation #64) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 am

Post by magisterrain »

jayfin makes a good point, and its interesting that charrat keeps bringing this up, especially since he has made it so that he cant be tested in this way.
however, i dont think it means
nothing

if they are town and hammer, and jayfin is innocent, it would look like they are scum when they are not. whether they are town or mafia, if they hammer quickly, it could lose the game for them.

in order to move this along, i propose that azhrei and insanepenguin be given as long a day as possible if either of them hammers, to make sure we dont hammer one of them if they are town.

my suspects are: jayfin, charrat, insanepenguin, azhrei
with not a lot of room between any two suspects
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #341 (isolation #65) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Post by magisterrain »

basically i mean that if penguin decides to hammer jayfin and jayfin is innocent, i will not take it as an immediate tell that he is scum.

its unlikely charrats going to remove his vote it seems, so we may have to go ahead and lynch jayfin in order to move the game along. if he is innocent, id say we look at charrat.
if jayfin is everyones top suspect, we shouldnt necessarily hold it against whoever hammers him
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #346 (isolation #66) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Post by magisterrain »

woohoo! sweet
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #356 (isolation #67) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:40 am

Post by magisterrain »

jayfin3 wrote:Good job guys, though I'm suprised at how long I lasted, considering:

1)The deadline that Yaw set was overdue two days. You could naturally assume that was because trex was a power role that need to make a move, and hadn't, even though Yaw told me he would have done it anyways, it was still pretty scummy.

2)trex on day 1 was scummy.

I really had no hope of winning once Day 2 started. I asked to fill in for trex before I had read the full game, and then hit myself once i realized (before I got the PM) that trex was mafia. Hehe, i was sure I was screwed then.

Oh well. Good job :)
re: pt 1-when yaw extended the deadline i had a hunch t-rex must be either mafia or doctor, so thats why i investigated him. of course i didnt get a result, so it didnt work out very well.

benmage was acting pretty scummy on day 2 and probably could have been lynched without my claiming. however i guess i wanted to hurry things along a bit and wanted to make sure i was alive during day 3 (assuming there was a doctor to protect me) if i had gotten benmage lynched without claiming i felt i would be nk'ed.

jayfin, you did a terrific job replacing trex.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”